Yakima??- Mtbr.com

Thread: Yakima??

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Yakima??

Hi all, I have a 2010 Kia Forte Koup. Im sick of messing with the saris trunk rack for my bike. So im looking into a Yakima roof rack with the bike holder where the front wheel stays on the bike. Anyone have experience with these racks and bike holder? Noise when driving etc... Its $500 for the whole system so i wana get some feedback first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've owned Yakima and Thule racks for nearly 20 years. Recently bought a Yakima Frontloader to hold my 29er with the wheel on. It's quick & easy to use and I'd recommend it. All cartop racks make a bit of noise but never enough to bother me.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Yakima FrontLoader and I'm happy so far. It's the first roof rack I've used, I've always had a spare or hitch rack.

It's stable, fairly easy on and off, and a lot better looking when not in use & folded down than the Thule option(s). As for the noise... anything is going to be noisy when strapped to the roof. I don't think there's anything that can be done about that. I just got back from a 1200 mile road trip with 2 bikes on the roof, with the sun roof open the whole way. Loud, but not unbearable. Of course I'm used to a jeep with no top or doors, so wind noise is normal for me...
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was more meaning about the noise when the bike is not attached. Is it quiet then?

code: mtbr2011
    wind noise can be dependent on the vehicle. every car is different. the nice thing about a wind fairing, is that you can add it anytime to the rack as an accessory if you notice you have wind noise.

the frontloader that the other posters mentioned is a good upright rack. in my opinion, the high roller, although more $$$ is a little bit sleeker on the car a little bit more aerodynamic - plus - when you're not carrying a bike, it has a quick release button that lowers the wheel hoops flat, while the frontloader has to be tightened/loosened manually.

also, yakima has a $50 rebate going on right now...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    yeah i priced it all out, and its going to run me $650. alot of money lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    imho, since I own both a FrontLoader and HighRoller, the HighRoller is worth the extra premium. I think it secures the bike better, feel more sturdy, & plus...it is more compatible with the fairing. What do I mean?

When you mount the FrontLoader with the fairing already installed, you cannot put the FrontLoader directly next to the front tower. The fairing interferes with the operation of the front securing knob, so you have to set the FrontLoader farther in (where the fairing is cut lower)...

if you want a pic of the HighRoller, FrontLoader & fairing.... let me know, I'll post it up

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah man love to see pics!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    left = frontloader
    right = highroller

closer look at the frontloader

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah think ill spend the extra on the highroller!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfan78 View Post
    Hi all, I have a 2010 Kia Forte Koup. Im sick of messing with the saris trunk rack for my bike. So im looking into a Yakima roof rack with the bike holder where the front wheel stays on the bike. Anyone have experience with these racks and bike holder? Noise when driving etc... Its $500 for the whole system so i wana get some feedback first.
    I just recently replaced my highrollers with sprocket rockets (take off the front wheel) on a BMW 5 series wagon. I damaged one of the highrollers (a story in itself) and it needed to be replaced.

I couldn't believe how much quieter the sprocket rockets are than the high rollers were. It's a big difference. When I talked with Yakima, they said that the highroller is best suited for bikes with through axles instead of road or XC bikes. They also said that the sprocket rocket was designed to have a low profile and that it is much lower profile than the high roller. I'd estimate less than half the cross sectional area plus a lot less appendages to make wind noise.

When I damaged my highroller, I had actually stripped the gears inside the ratched the bars in place to hold the front wheel. I asked Yakima how I could check to see if it was ok since it apparently held the bike in place. They said there is no way to know so I replaced them. When I tested the good one (I have two), it was really hard to cause the bars to open. The stripped one, would take some pressure and then all of a sudden collapse. So while it was bad, it wasn't apparent in use. You could put the bike in there, it would seemingly hold it but it could have dumped the bike.

So, I'm much happier with the sprocket rocket where the wind noise is a lot less and where I can see and tell if the rack is working properly. The sprocket rocket is extremely solid. There was some side to side wobble with the high rollers.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfan78 View Post
    Yeah think ill spend the extra on the highroller!
    Good choice. Everytime you use it, it'll easily prove it's worth.

Compared to the Frontloader, the HighRoller features:

> A wider,studier, and more stable wheel tray
    > A greater weight carrying limit of 50-lbs
    > Double-sided rear wheel strap buckles
    > Better front wheel grips
    > A more aerodynamic shape when unloaded

You'll only need to determine how many SKS Lock Cores you'll need for your set-up and one-key simplicity.

Also, consider the SKS Accessory Lock if you want to secure the Highroller to your cross bars.

At the moment, one advantage the Frontloader has over the HighRoller is the Frontloaders compatibility with the new Yakima Whispbars. However, this difference is of no matter for those who use Yakima's traditional round cross-bars or use Thule's square cross-bars.

In the end, using either rack is fast, easy, and secure.

....and no having to remove-remount-remove muddy, dusty, dirty front wheels and placing those front wheels somewhere inside your car's interior for transport, or having to worry about accidentally locking/dislodging your front disc brakes when the front wheel is removed.
    Last edited by Bambi19; 07-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yakima doesn't have square bars (that's thule)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    yakima doesn't have square bars (that's thule)
    Thanks, for clarification, I added the name "Thule" to my post for those who may are not already aware of the difference in their cross-bar design.