Yakima 20% off at JensonUSA. Worth it or just go 1up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Yakima 20% off at JensonUSA. Worth it or just go 1up?

Which Yakima would be the best model? And with 20% off would it be enough to consider getting a Yakima over a 1up? Looking mostly into a hitch rack. I have a Jeep. Will need to carry two bikes, mine and the gf's. Mine is a 34lb full suspension.
    I really really really care about my rep count! Please please please don't negative rep me...it hurts..

mtbr member
    You'll get 98% replies saying 1up. The only Yakima one I'd consider is the Holdup.

mtbr member
    I think the holdup is a great rack and works well for all types of bikes. If you are at all cost conscious go for the hold up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I promise you'll sell the Yakima and get something better. Buy once and save yourself the hassle.

mtbr member
    1up > *

ballbuster
    Yeah, 1Up.... totally worth it, IMO.

But, depends on your budget. I would suggest how many tires, or brake pads, or other parts can be bought for the difference in money, and consider how much that will benefit your bike experience, vs the 1Up rack.

That said, the 1Up rack is frickin' awesome. I wouldn't worry about your bike weight too much. All racks are pretty much designed to handle all bikes. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start loading up like 4 bikes on a rack when the weight really adds up. You're not talking about 60 pound bikes.

I had a T2 rack, and I can tell you it did not play well with my Lefty fork (prong?). The hook put pressure on the boot and one day tore it. If you have a Lefty (or friends with Lefties), I would take that into consideration. Looks like the HoldUp uses a similar kind of front wheel retaining hook as the T2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    1Up. It might be the last one you ever buy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    got my holdup from jenson. I love it. i had a thule and a old sportwerks. The yakima is more solid, better materials.

T.W.O
    Holdup is nice. I have had mine for about a month now and am very impressed.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am impressed with pfox90's Holdup as well. Looks really nice, works well, and if I could do my purchase all over again, I would definitely get one.

Another friend has the 1up. Works well, but I am not a fan of the look of it. Takes away from how nice the rack is.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I've had a Yakima Hold Up for 7 months and I would not recommend it for the long haul. The plastic joints in the swing arm uprights wear and have play after driving many miles at freeway speed. One of the rivets holding the rear wheel strap clip mechanism is coming loose.

I am going to begin to strap the seatposts to my tailgate to keep wind created by freeway speeds from causing so much flex on the system.

I think I'm going to go back to removing the front wheel and placing my bike in the bed of my truck (I have a fiberglass tonneau cover over the bed). I really bought the rack as a means to carry a few bikes at once.

What a disappointment.

Members who have read this thread: 0