xtra-cab style truck owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

xtra-cab style truck owners

To all your xtra cab pick up owners, can you fit your bike in the back with the seats folded up and your front wheel off? I'm in the market for a new vehicle, and this is something I'm looking for in it. I ride right after work, so I do NOT want to keep my bike exposed to anyone passing by for 8 hours (i.e. locked up in the bed, but clearly visible). I've considered a tonneau cover or camper shell, but they could be a pain with multiple bikes. So if you can fit it, let me know the year/model of your truck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah I can, but why would you want too? Just get some bed mounted fork locks and use a chain bike lock and run through the frames and back wheels to your tie down hooks. That's what I do when I gotta leave the bikes out.

-ER

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You know, I've never even thought about that, good idea. With the seats of my Sierra folded up there's a pretty big space.

Crap, forgot about my subwoofers...I guess I need to go investigate!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ok it will fit in a 99-07 GMC/Chevy extended cab for sure. Got it back there right now. Not sure what kind of truck you have though.

AKA shitbird
    I have an extended cab (not double cab) Toyota Tacoma (2005) and I almost always keep a bike back there just in case I'm able to catch an opportunity to ride.

BUT, some bikes fit better than others. My Specialized Epic Fits easily with the front tire off. The Ellsworth moment is a snug fit but not too bad. When it comes to my DH bike it's a muthaF'er to get that monster back there and I have to take both wheels off, it does fit though!

Oh, the seats fold down rather than up in the Tacoma so they gotta be up (regular poistion.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the info, guys. Still not sure what I'm going to get since there are a ton of pick ups out there.
    Eabos - how much room do you have to spare with your Epic in the back? I have a Stumpjumper. I was actually looking at the previous generation Tacomas but they are pretty small compared to the +05 gen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    GMC or nothing.

Then again, I'm biased. What's your budget? (if you don't mind sharing?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My bike fits in the back seat area of my Nissan Titan with the bottom of the seats folded up. Don't even have to take the front wheel off, just need to turn it sideways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My "planned" budget is 10k for something used, although my budget seems to increase as the days go by. I guess it depends also on just how good a deal I come across..

I did not realize the Titan was that big. Is the floor flat with the seats folded up, or are there storage compartments underneath?
    Last edited by iaintdumb2; 11-20-2007 at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I got my 2000 GMC Sierra extended cab, SLT 5.3 2wd in fantastic condition with 82,000 miles on it about 8 months ago for $11,500. I'm sure with some more miles and/or smaller engine and/or less options you could easily get under $10k.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just got a chevy silverado 1500 4x4 lt loaded with all options including leather with 64000 miles for 11,300 oh and it has fisher minute mount plow as well. i searched everywhere there are plenty of delas out there rigth now on trucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iaintdumb2
    I did not realize the Titan was that big. Is the floor flat with the seats folded up, or are there storage compartments underneath?
    On my Titan, there is a small hump in the floor in the middle that doesn't really affect anything, but the rest of the floor is flat. I think storage compartments were an option or maybe part of a package on later models.

The bike wheels do rub on the back doors and the back of the drivers seat but so far any marks have come off clean. I have a medium size GF HiFi. The bike goes in pretty easily, but it is a tight fit and a bike with a longer wheelbase or a 29er might not fit.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by iaintdumb2
    Thanks for the info, guys. Still not sure what I'm going to get since there are a ton of pick ups out there.
    Eabos - how much room do you have to spare with your Epic in the back? I have a Stumpjumper. I was actually looking at the previous generation Tacomas but they are pretty small compared to the +05 gen.
    The Epic is back there right now. I'll try to snap a pic and post it up.
    JRA

Members who have read this thread: 0