Xterra Owners - Hitch Rack - Please Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Xterra Owners - Hitch Rack - Please Help

Sorry if this has been discussed before (didn't see it though in a search), but I have an '02 Xterra and need to get a hitch rack for my DH bike. Any preference for a Thule or Yakima? Was wondering too if with the rack installed and folded up, can you open the rear door? Is the rack easy to take on and off (in and out of the hitch) if this is not the case [i.e. during the week when the rack isn't being used]? Thanks for any help!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I also have an 02 xterra. I used the Yakima hook up. It was easy to put on and take off. I used it to carry my specialized big hit comp and my friends norco shore and never had a problem. I don't have the rack anymore but it was great. I don't think you could open the rear door though with it folded up. Can't remember to be honest. hope that helped you.

Never trust a fart
    Most of the hitch style bike racks require you to lower the rack to access the rear hatch on a SUV. A few years ago I was looking at one for my wifes 2000 Xterra. Not needed now due to purchase of a full size pickup.

mtbr member
    That's what I figured - thanks y'all.

By the way, heard from a Yakima rep that the new hitch racks they displayed at Interbike will be available in the spring.

anyone else smell that?
    i'm using a performance xport model:

with the inside top tube bar slid down, you can open the rear hatch no problem. so i keep my bike on the outside.

Was that a Bobcat?
    I have a 2000 Xterra and I use the same hitch rack..... the cost is great and it functions excellently.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thule T2.

The T2 doesn't touch the frame, so it can't scratch it like the performance one. And the T2 will accomodate any bike, not just adult bikes with top tubes. The performance rack would be useless with a ladies bike, or kids bikes.

Besides, we don't need any more people supporting Performance.

mtbr member
    After seeing the thread in the DH forum, I'm a bit hesitant to get a T2. The Yakima seems the best way to go. Will just mount for the weekend, and then remove during the week.

mtbr member
    Just to update, got the Hook Up, and even with it folded up, you can still open the back door (just barely though)! Very cool. Hasn't seen real use yet, but so far so good.

Members who have read this thread: 0