XPORT Slipstream 4 hitch rack- quick review and pics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

XPORT Slipstream 4 hitch rack- quick review and pics

I bought the XPORT Slipstream 4 from Performance Bike a little while ago and finally had an opportunity to use it.

I first had to install the hitch to my Hyundai Elantra- the instructions said it was fairly easy and would take 30 minutes. It was a bit of a pain, but that could have been because I was doing it solo and the hitch is pretty heavy when you're laying under a car.

The hitch rack was very easy to put together and install on the car- very sturdy as well! I had my GF Cobia and my wife's hybrid on it for a 1.5 hour trip to some trails. This rack is very affordable and effective! I got it for about $120. The straps were hard to first attach them to the rack; however, you only have to put them on the rack once. The straps weren't too hard to work with when the rack was on the hitch- much more leverage.

Once I arrived to my destination, I checked the rack and noticed it was loose where it attaches to the hitch. The bolt loosened a bit. It's a threaded bolt with a locking washer and I guess it worked itself out a bit- the pin is still attached so there was no worry of the hitch going for a ride on the highway, but just something to watch out for- good to check it once in a while. I am also keeping a rachet and 19mm socket in my trunk since you need that to attach/detach rack from hitch.

I am very pleased with this rack- especially since it's so sturdy and inexpensive. let me know if you have any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    that bar from your stem to your seatpost. did you make that or buy it?

mtbr member
    it's called a frame adaptor. i got mine from performance bike- http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4414

thule and yakima sell them as well but they are $30+. the performance bike one does a fine job- solid, too.

i probably don't need one for my bike, but it makes it convenient and you don't have to mess with your top tube- especially since i didn't want rubbing against cables.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    That looks like a headache.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    That looks like a headache.
    the frame adaptor? if by a headache you mean 5 seconds of brainless pressing two buttons, yes then a headache.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    the frame adaptor? if by a headache you mean 5 seconds of brainless pressing two buttons, yes then a headache.
    Just the mess of straps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    Just the mess of straps.
    i probably don't need any straps (other than the black one that attach the bike to the rack). i decided to have the one strap (orange in the pic) that goes around both tires so they don't spin when driving. the bike does sway a bit, but not too bad.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    you talked me into it, and i just hit the order button on the slipstream and the adapter, cant wait to get it

mtbr member

X-port is a good alternative.

Performance sells the X-port, which I got on sale for $119, and since it holds the wheels there is no adapter needed for any bike, and no worry about the bikes swaying around or anything. We have used ours for over a year on our Element, and it works great. It even fits either size receiver hitch right out of the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlesser
    you talked me into it, and i just hit the order button on the slipstream and the adapter, cant wait to get it
    i think you'll be happy. works really well- just double check the bolts once in a while if you're driving longer distances. good luck. i hope it works for you as it does for me.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    Performance sells the X-port, which I got on sale for $119, and since it holds the wheels there is no adapter needed for any bike, and no worry about the bikes swaying around or anything. We have used ours for over a year on our Element, and it works great. It even fits either size receiver hitch right out of the box.
    i looked into this one and like it, but i wanted a rack that would last longer for me- i need to carry 3 bikes once in a while. i like this rack if you only need to carry 2 bikes max.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    May 2006
    doh just bought an adapter from amazon for $25 this one is half the price.

Aug 2009
    I was given an xport slipsream duel reciever,setup for a1.25'' hitch. Do you know how to convert to a 2'' hitch

mtbr member
    there is a plastic adapter piece that adapts it to a 2 inch setup. i use the 2 inch setup on my trailblazer, and it works quite well

Aug 2009
    Does anyone know where i can find the adapter for the 2'' hitch.I have checked numerous sites and came up with nothing.

pain Only Hurts for a min
    Feb 2010

I've been considering this rack...but I have a few question that you might be able to help me with.

1st is there anything you dislike about it?

&

Does it fold up toward the car?
    Does it tilt at all?
    Does the 'hook' that holds the down on the top bar, rub on the bike at all?
    Just a Kid chasing his Dreams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moutainkiller
    I've been considering this rack...but I have a few question that you might be able to help me with.

1st is there anything you dislike about it?

&

Does it fold up toward the car?
    Does it tilt at all?
    Does the 'hook' that holds the down on the top bar, rub on the bike at all?
    The wheel trays fold up toward the center. I fold them up and then remove the rack, and it stands up and takes up only about as much space as an upright vacuum cleaner in my garage.

The upright bar tilts away from the vehicle by pulling a pin. I can open the hatch on the Element without having to do this, so I rarely use this, but if I have 2 bikes on the rack, the handlebar gets in the way of opening the hatch, and you have to tilt the bikes to gain access.

The wheel trays are fully adjustable, and you can position them to put the hold down hook in a good place. It does not rub on the bike, but the foam will wear down after a year or so. I just twisted it to a less worn area, but will have to replace the foam eventually.

I really like the rack. I set it in the receiver, and thread the bolt in by hand, then give it a tighten with a wrench and it is on. Literally less than a minute. To load the bike, sit it on, slide down the hook and tighten knob. I take the rack off when out riding and fold it up inside the vehicle since it is so fast to do. I can have the rack back on the vehicle and the bikes loaded in 2 minutes. For the price it is a great system.

Also, I had a friend with a couple Yakima racks that have the hold down on the front wheel. His tire went flat while driving, and he nearly lost his bike out of it!! I do put one little "insurance bungee around the top tower and through both bikes just for extra security, but I don't think the bikes would drop down low enough even with both tires flat to come out from under the hook, but it is quick insurance against that.

pain Only Hurts for a min
    Feb 2010
    I do put one little "insurance bungee around the top tower and through both bikes just for extra security, but I don't think the bikes would drop down low enough even with both tires flat to come out from under the hook, but it is quick insurance against that.
    Yeah better safe then sorry! I would hate to see my bike bouncing down the road

Thanks for the info!
    Just a Kid chasing his Dreams

Members who have read this thread: 0