WRX+bike rack=how much decreased fuel mileage?- Mtbr.com
    On your left!
    Apr 2007

WRX+bike rack=how much decreased fuel mileage?

So I've got a wrx wagon and I'm playing around with the idea of a rack just because it's becoming a pain to load\unload the bike all the time so I was wondering how big of a drop in fuel mileage those of you that have put racks on your cars have seen. thanks
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    When I had a roof rack on my wagon, I was getting 23-26mpg with a rack and no bikes.

With bikes I would get closer to 20-21 mpg.

I just got hitch rack. The mileage with bikes is consistently closer to 25 mpg. 4-5 mpg better.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Im not sure what milege I get with the bikes on the rack, mostly because I usually do not travel to the "bike destinations" for any other reason, but I do know that I can get around 27-28mpg on the highway at 75mph (avg) without bikes. That I am pretty sure of, as I've done the calcs a few times.

With that said, I got a hitch-rack for the primary consideration of fuel economy. The car will take it, you can lower it to open the rear hatch if you get a thule T2, and it's easy as pie loading bikes. The thing is, no matter what, it will eventually pay for itself in the form of increased milege compared to a roof-setup. There's also the issue of road stability and overhangs of course. There's also no road-noise due to the wind on the rack, and it's also pretty easy to take the rack completely off for around town and other driving that does not include bikes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    yeah I would go hitch mount but the other half of the reasoning behind the rack is that I ski in the winter. that and they don't look nearly as cool
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

Elitest thrill junkie
    Can't fit the skis in the wagon with one of the rear seats folded down?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2005
    With the bike on top, I lose about 3 mpg also.

I did think of getting a trunk mount rack, but then realized that it would be more an inconvenience for me since I access my trunk all the time. I dont notice the wind noise much since I always have music playing.

For snowboards, fold down one of the split seats and keep them inside (unless I have 3+ people or a LOT of gear). Keeping the boards inside helps keep them free of nasty road salt.

Fat, but working on it...
    I got maybe 1-2 mpg less with my rack on my car than without my rack. Of course, I was constantly messing with the fuel, ignition, and boost maps, so it wasn't uncommon to get 18 mpg one tank and 30 mpg the next...
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    2004 WRX w/ Prodrives Stage 3 kit

Car w/out rack 23-26mpg
    Car w/ rack 21-25mpg
    Car w/ rack & bike 19-24mpg
    car w/ rack, bike and canoe 19-22mpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    What kind of turbo does that stage 3 have?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    What kind of turbo does that stage 3 have?

Thats whats strange about the prodrive kits. its a factory turbo, No huge HP numbers, but a Super Fun Car.

mtbr member
    I've got an Outback 2.5 XT. Not exact same car, but the engine is almost the same. Without rack, I got about 23mpg. With a Thule rack and 2 bike carriers, but no bike, I get 20ish. Add on a bike and it drops to 17-18mpg if I don't drive like nuts. Add 2 bikes and it's more like 16-17ish. I also have a Thule ski carrier and that seems to drop the gas mileage a point or two. Never had 2 bikes, ski rack and load of skis on at once but I'd imagine the gas mileage might go negative.

tmp
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I lose 4 mpg on the highway with 2 bikes on the roof(05 Legacy GT) driving around 75 mph.

AOF
    mtbr member
    '05 WRX Wagon owner with Thule fork mount rack.
    I lose about 4-5 MPG with the bike on top, not sure what I lost with the rack since it's been on since I got it. I also have a fairing, not sure if it helps.
    I have a hitch mount that I use on the mini van (wifes) and it is awesome, trying to figure out if I can get a 2" receiver hitch on the WRX. Some of the newer hitch mounts swing out of the way, pretty cool, so you can still access the hatch.
    -Dan
    My LBS

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Natchez
    Thats whats strange about the prodrive kits. its a factory turbo, No huge HP numbers, but a Super Fun Car.
    Wierd. I thought that stage 3 was almost always adding a bigger turbo, as opposed to stage 2 which was turbo-back exaust and any associated EM.

mtbr member
    stage 3 is usually a turbo upgrade. but prodrive does it a little different

now, on my 06 wrx wagon. (with mods)
    with no racks, i can avg 29-30
    with racks on top and two DH bikes, i get avg of 18mpg (using yak king cobra racks)
    with racks on hitch and two DH bikes, i get avg of 23-25mpg (using a 2" receiver and T2 racks)

mtbr member
    I have an 04 WRX Wagon.

Without the rack I can get 29 mpg
    With the rack I get 26-27 mpg
    With 2 bikes on I get around 22-23 mpg.

I bike long tyme.
    Two DH bikes on the roof of my Toyota Matrix kills my mileage by about 8-9 mpg. That car is a solid 34-35 mpg highway without the bikes and a 27 mpg at best with them. That wind resistance and wimpy 1.8 L. make for an interesting time. And if there are lots of hills (WV, VA) knock off another 2-3 mpg easy. Supremely practical car for a biking enthusiast but it doesn't like roof cargo.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Stray Bullet
    18 mpg doing 80mph going to and from Mammoth and LA.

I can't get better than 22 mpg ever. I don't know how you guys 29 mpg!

Members who have read this thread: 0