Wrangler Unlimited Solutions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Wrangler Unlimited Solutions?

Hey folks,

My wife has been begging for a Wrangler Unlimited for some time now. There might, just maybe, be a way to make this happen at some point this year. So, the first thing that pops into my mind is what to do with the bike?

Ideally, I'd have a way to use a fork mount inside the vehicle somehow (I ride pretty much every day before work). Day to day use would be a single bike in the jeep. Secondly, I'd also like a way to carry multiple bikes (at least two, four would be ideal) so we could take the jeep to races and such. I already have one of the nicer Yakima hitch racks - will it clear the spare tire?

I don't know much of anything about the current jeep tops. Pretty sure I'd have a soft top on the thing though. I can envision it being clad only in a bikini top of some sort most of the year.

So, what are my rack options? Pictures would be great.

mtbr member
    I'm going through the same questions as you, only I have an FJ Cruiser. I have made an internal mount for my bike, but am looking for options that allow me to carry multiple bikes at once and also allow me "quicker" load/unload times when just carrying one bike. I don't want my bikes up top, so hitch mount racks are best for me.
    Here are the links to the three racks I've narrowed my search down to. I really like the North shore rack because of ability to carry 4 bikes with their NSR 4 in a small rack design. Also their design does not block the tail lights and has no issues from exhaust pipe heat. The design does not support road bikes, which might be in my future.

http://northshoreracks.com/index.htm

The Kuat NV rack is very nice

http://www.kuatinnovations.com/index.php?page=

as is the Thule T2.

http://www.thule.com/en-US/CA/Produc...tch/916XTR-T2#

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    The North Shore rack almost seems like it was made for the FJ. I have a 2010 FJ with the NSR-4. There are quite a few FJ owners on this forum with NS racks.