Women MTB on a Hitch Hanging Style Rack???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Women MTB on a Hitch Hanging Style Rack???

Hi,
    I've read that a hanging style rack cannot hold a women bike frame unless you buy some sort of crossbar adapter for it. (Thule calls it HANGING-STYLE MODELS).

I can probably see why since some women frame bike have the top tube bar slanted at about a 45 degree angle and this is where the bike is held by the rack.

Could someone confirm this please?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yes you will have to more than likely. it depends somewhat on the womens bike and frame size. but more than likely you will have to. i suggest a thule or yakima crossbar adapter. they are a little more expensive but we have yet to have a single problem with my fiances bike and a yakima tubetop adapter with my yakima bighorn 4 rack. (also it matches brands which bugs me for some reason lol)
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako
    92' Trek 830 Antelope in restoration being turned into a commuter

EDR
    I used a Yakima TT adaptor when I had a hitch rack. That thing is as solid as a tank.
    On sale at http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...FRtVgwod2WulJg

turtles make me hot
    I had a hanging type rack and had those bars for 4 bikes. They hung close to the ground and the bikes beat each other up pretty badly. I finally bought a Thule T2. It holds the bikes by their wheels. MUCH better arrangement.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I guess I'm back to platform style bike rack. Read some review on the downside to the hanging rack and they don't sound so positive.

Thanks everyone!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, 10 years ago and more the "hanging" style was all that there was. Newer "tray" type hitch racks are simply infinitely better. Kind of like the difference between a hokey old proflex suspension bike with elastomer shocks and a modern full suspension bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0