wobbly draw tite hitch rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

wobbly draw tite hitch rack?

Until upgrading to larger tires on my jeep, i was happily using a thule "spare me" rack, which was great. After the larger tires, the thule no longer fit, and i went to a borrowed draw tite hitch rack. it's the type with a reciever that will flip around to fit 2" or 1.25". I have used both ends (due to a bumper upgrade), and i'm now on the 2" side. The thing wobbles back and forth, and bounces up and down horribly, so bad i don't even want to put a bike on it. for now i'm going ghetto and have a ratchet strap pulling it up and to one side to keep it somewhat steady. . i can't imagine that this is normal. i am currently using a 6" extention with it, but it fits into the bumper with absolutly no movement at all. it is where the rack goes into the extention thats the problem. i've used both the 1.25" and 2", and both have had a lot of movement, so i'm assuming that i have a crappy rack. am i right? is there something i'm missing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm not sure about your situation but I've had the same problem and fixed it with something similar to this

http://www.amazon.com/Softride-25219.../dp/B000T5BI8Y

It keeps the interface between the rack and the receiver nice and tight eliminating that wobbly feeling. The one I use has a u shaped pin that goes around and pushes through a second small hole against the rack. I couldn't find it in a quick search, but it looks like this would do the same thing. Hope this helps...

thecentralscrutinizer
    That's pretty nice. I just bought a bolt and nut from Lowes and had a friend weld the nut inside the drawbar part of the rack. Tightens down just fine, but it doesn't provide the security that locking one will.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That is pretty cool...i like the security aspect as well. I may just be looking at it the wrong way though, but wouldn't the "male" part of the rack have to be hollow in order to use something like that? The one I have is a solid chunk of steel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan6161
    wouldn't the "male" part of the rack have to be hollow in order to use something like that?
    Yup, you're right. I finally found the one I have...

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/prod...ith_Lock,63201

This allows you to use a solid male part, but you have to have a second hole in the hitch receiver for the little pin to go through and press up against the rack. I'm pretty sure I just drilled a second hole in the receiver to take care of it. Some hitches already have the second hole, so you might be in luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks! That should work perfectly. In fact, the bike rack they show in the instructions is the same one that i have. Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    No problem. It's nice to finally be able to help somebody out on these forums instead of just reading everyone else's ideas.

Members who have read this thread: 0