Will a mountain bike fit in a Volvo station wagon- Mtbr.com
    1FG
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Will a mountain bike fit in a Volvo station wagon

It's going to be time to get rid of the Suburban soon (lease ends) and I am thinking about replacing it with a (used) Volvo station wagon (V70 type).

The _great_ thing about the suburban is that I can literally throw my bike in the back, with my gear bag, leave it there, not worry about theft and pretty much go riding anytime I can get away from work. I donít even need to take the wheels off the bike (which, with the Cannondale lefty is a plus).

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience with stuffing a mountain bike in the back of a wagon, the size of a Volvo. How much needs to be taken off the bike to make it fit: one wheel? Both? Seat? Handlebars?

Any advice / tips on how to make is as painless as possible?

Thanks.

DC

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Don't know about the Volvo - but the Subaru Liberty Wagon can easily hold a full bike with the back seats folded down. Infact, get a blanked and it can hold more then 1 bike

Mazda's new Wagon (in Australia) is even smaller and can still hold a bike with the seats folded down.

I'd imagine the Volvo would not have a problem - as I think it is very similiar in size to the liberty.. maybe even bigger?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I can stick my bike in the trunk of our Accord Sedan without wheels and just stick the wheels on top of the frame...
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

mtbr member
    um.... if you are a 4' tall circus midget riding a 10" frame I suspect it will go in no problem. if you are a 7 footer riding a custom made 30" frame I bet it will not.

If you are in between I think we would need more information.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i can fit my large epic into a friends V70 with both wheels off and the rear seats still up cuz we had to acomadate(sp?) 4 other people. a bike should fit in no problem with the seats down and there will still be room to put gear
    Salsa Dos Niner SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a Honda fit (tiny car), and my aniki fit's in it fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0