Will Clamp-on Racks Damage Forks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Will Clamp-on Racks Damage Forks

I am looking at upgrading to a $700 White Brothers Magic 100 fork and also just bought a Thule fork mount rack. I heard that fork mount racks can damage the dropouts in a fork, causing fatigue. Has anyone ever experienced this. I wouldnt want to mess up my $700 forks with a $100 rack.confused:
    Bearchaser

-"The American Revolution is alive and well in the hearts of the non-zombies"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If used properly then you'll not have any problems with the dropouts on your fork. Read and understand the instructions. If what you say was true you wouldn't see thousands of them in use every day. The folks that have troubles either don't take the time to read/understand the user instructions or only think they do.

meow meow
    im confused as to how you think it can fatigue the drop outs. the fork will just sit there and not be stressed.

mtbr member
    This post is a few years old now. I have been using the fork mount racks the whole time and my forks have not been damaged. However I do have this to say. I broke my first Thule rack by driving on potholed logging roads and the weight of the bike getting thrown around caused a faillure of the attachment system. It broke where the bars pull in and hold the forks. Its a good thing I caught it and stopped right away. This faillure could have been really bad on the freeway.
    Bearchaser

-"The American Revolution is alive and well in the hearts of the non-zombies"

Members who have read this thread: 0