Why are TA fork adapters so f@cking over priced?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why are TA fork adapters so [email protected] over priced?

So Why are these uber-simple bits of static metal so absurdly priced?

Seriously Yakima and Thule? $50 for this !!!!!

Why would I NOT buy this one for $20?

Getting raped by these companies does not make me want to support them.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member extraordinair
    Probably because there is a high demand and currently only 1 supplier for both companies. Whats stopping you from buying the cheaper one?
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

ballbuster
    Maybe see if you can make one yourself. Doesn't look too complicated.

You think that's expensive, be glad you don't need one for your Lefty bike.

Or, better solution: Check craigslist for somebody selling roof trays that let you leave your wheels on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We make the adaptors and no, we are not holding out because we have the patent. We are proud that all of the Fork Up products, be it labeled by Hurricane, Yakima or Thule are 100% made in the USA, while that does'nt mean anything to some, it means a lot to us, and yes it does cost more. Every year we get inquiries from oversea's companies to produce the product for us, sure, we could probably sell them for a little less and sure we might make more of a profit, but we choose to keep manufacturing over here and keep Americans employed.
    And while the Fork Up adaptors look like they are simple to manufacture, we use skilled workers and tooling and always the best materials, but look at other products, how come handlebars are upwards of $100? simple piece of tubing right? no its the materials used and the engineering and liability that come at a cost, somehow, all manufacturerers try to figure out how to make a profit. Look closely at other products, and see if the product is totally worth it.
    So if you dont want to support us and think that the parts are priced too high, thats OK, thats your choice. As pimpbot says, "make one yourself " knock yourself out, once you add in materials and time, the adaptors will seem pretty inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    $6 for materials
    $50/hour for a skilled welder (that's pretax pay that a company has to pay in wages) so $3/adapter
    $1 paint
    $10 for overhead (marketing, phones, sales people, health insurance, shipping)
    So Hurricane's cost is $20, they wholesale for $31 and make a huge $11. When they sell it to Yakima they probably wholesale for $25 tops.
    Your bike shop has it shipped to them $3 and has all their own expenses $5 and make $12

My numbers aren't perfect but I doubt they are too far off. This should make you feel pretty bad for accusing them of being some horrible greedy corporate giant out to "rape" you. Sure, they could offshore everything, and bring the cost down to $10 then sell direct for $20 but I'll stick with companies that take pride in making their own product.
    In your engineering job you probably make more than anyone who works at Hurricane, do you apologize to your clients for "raping" them?

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    $6 for materials
    $50/hour for a skilled welder (that's pretax pay that a company has to pay in wages) so $3/adapter
    $1 paint
    $10 for overhead (marketing, phones, sales people, health insurance, shipping)
    So Hurricane's cost is $20, they wholesale for $31 and make a huge $11.
    Your bike shop has it shipped to them $3 and has all their own expenses $5 and make $12

My numbers aren't perfect but I doubt they are too far off. This should make you feel pretty bad for accusing them of being some horrible greedy corporate giant out to "rape" you. Sure, they could offshore everything, and bring the cost down to $10 then sell direct for $20 but I'll stick with companies that take pride in making their own product.
    In your engineering job you probably make more than anyone who works at Hurricane, do you apologize to your clients for "raping" them?
    :thumbup:
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Yup, all good arguments and analysis. So good in fact, I ordered one (Thule, I think) from my LBS earlier this morning....

Also agree that my tone was a bit "off" .... I guess everyone should just take a breath before saying what they are thinking at the moment... My bad.

I'm concerned, however, why 3 years ago I bought a 20mm version for less. It says Yakima on it, so maybe there's something to that.

I'm also concerned when I have to spend that much only to get it and have it require easily 30 minutes with a Dremel and grinding bit to make it do the single thing it is intended to do. (huge burrs inside obstructing the axle insertion).

Oh well, some one Craig's list will be thrilled to buy the used, "tuned" one for $15.

I also did some reading on the cheaper one are their tolerances seem to be off, possible damaging forks. So, that's out - big names it is!

So I'll expect excellent workmanship since the price is up vs a few years ago.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well Dave, thanks for your patronage. As far as pricing fromYakima or Thule, we do not set their prices. Also, we did have a batch with some burr's and bad powdercoat, unfoturnately, somtimes things such as those slip through the cracks in manufacturing, but if ever anyone has a problem or concern with our products, feel free to contact us, we will not be satisfied unless our customers are satisfied.

I bought a 20mm adapter several years ago, I think for around $35. I just bought a 15mm on about 2 weeks ago and my LBS gave me a deal on it for $40, but it retailed for $50. (That after I spend nearly 5K on a bike!) So the prices have increased.

However, its really only a 1-time cost if you think about it, and in the end its worth the price for the convenience. I made my own version of the 20mm adapter for my truck bed. It worked just as well, but it was only useful when I used the truck. Ive since sold the truck, so my homemade rack sits unused, and the hurricane adapter gets the nod when I need it.

Ill sell it to ya for $45

code: mtbr2011
    my first impression of the cheaper one in the photo above is the welds look suspect and I wouldn't trust my niner on that....
    we have a saying here in the shop,
    "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    my first impression of the cheaper one in the photo above is the welds look suspect and I wouldn't trust my niner on that....
    we have a saying here in the shop,
    "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    There's a saying in tattoo shops that applies to most everything else: "Good tattoos aren't cheap, cheap tattoos aren't good."
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Stupendous, is that a homemade truck rack? If not, where did you find it?

its home-made

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    We make the adaptors and no, we are not holding out because we have the patent. We are proud that all of the Fork Up products, be it labeled by Hurricane, Yakima or Thule are 100% made in the USA, while that does'nt mean anything to some, it means a lot to us, and yes it does cost more.
    I just picked up the Lefty version of Thule's adapter and the box does state it is designed and produced by Hurricane.
    One thing I'm concerned about is how tight the 5mm hex screw in the adapter needs to be when securing the adapter to the Lefty axle. If it isn't tighten enough and it becomes loose during 'hauling' is there a chance that the Thule adapter can rotate and come out of the fork mount?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You should tighten the adaptor as you would in tightening the wheel to the fork, you dont need to tighten the bolt with all of your strength, just firmly. I dont have the torque settings handy, but I use all of the adaptors regulary and never had one come loose or rotate.
    Thanks for your support.

Members who have read this thread: 0