Why Do I Need a Rail Over My Rail- Mtbr.com
    Alien Surf Team

Why Do I Need a Rail Over My Rail

My Acura MDX already has two rails that go across. The guy at the bike shop said I need to buy an adapter. This ended up being another pair of rails that run parallel over my factory rails but like 2 inches above and connect to the factory rails. Now being an engineer all I have to say is, this is absolutely ridiculous.

I know all I need is a little mount in the back and one in the front for a fork mount system. Is there a brand rack I can do this with? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Acura offers cross bars that work with your existing rails. They also offer bike carriers that work with the cross bars. I found this on Acura.com...click on the MDX...then click on accessories. Your dealer should be able to get them or you may be able to find deals online.
    Signature

mtbr member
    http://www.rockymounts.com/noose

you can order direct or your LBS can become a dealer and get them for you

Fall guy
    I second the rockymounts noose. IMHO rockymounts makes the best rack for the money.

If you want to go with yakima or thule they make adapters that let you attach a rack directly to factory bars.
    http://yakima.com/racks/rack-systems...htymounts.aspx

Alien Surf Team
    The factory and rockymounting look good. Thanks for those.

Oh and I guess I had my terms a little wrong. What the guy wanted to sell me was a crossbar to go over my crossbar. I already have a crossbar so I thought another crossbar over it was dumb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish
    The factory and rockymounting look good. Thanks for those.

Oh and I guess I had my terms a little wrong. What the guy wanted to sell me was a crossbar to go over my crossbar. I already have a crossbar so I thought another crossbar over it was dumb.
    Ah...then you should be all set to find a carrier. What shape are the cross bars? Is it a solid bar or is there a channel on the top side of the cross bar? The carrier or carriers offered by Acura may or may not be a proprietary Acura product. So whatever Acura sells may be able to be found elsewhere for less money.

For example, the fork mount carriers I purchased out of VW's accessory catalog for my Rabbit were actually Thule carriers. Oddly enough it was cheaper to buy the carriers through VW than it was to find them online elsewhere.
    Signature

Alien Surf Team
    Seems to be a oval shaped tube. The Acura carrier is $138. Rockymount Noose looks like it will fit easy too.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    They really call it a "noose"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish
    My Acura MDX already has two rails that go across. The guy at the bike shop said I need to buy an adapter. This ended up being another pair of rails that run parallel over my factory rails but like 2 inches above and connect to the factory rails. Now being an engineer all I have to say is, this is absolutely ridiculous.

I know all I need is a little mount in the back and one in the front for a fork mount system. Is there a brand rack I can do this with? Thanks.
    The bike shop employee is offering the safest option. The factory crossbars are flat and a little flexy, the Thule or Yakima alteratives are far more rigid. I have used both and the factory are great in a pinch. I use a Rocky and my only complaint is the low clearance from roofline to crossbars. The bolts fit, but to be easier I should have cut an inch off all six. If you mounted a second rail and new crossbar it would add atleast 4 - 6 inches of work room at a cost of $200 - $300 more. If you want a mount to keep your wheel on Yakima offers mighty mounts to adapt to flat cross bars for their racks.

Good Luck-

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    The bike shop employee is offering the safest option. The factory crossbars are flat and a little flexy, the Thule or Yakima alteratives are far more rigid. I have used both and the factory are great in a pinch. I use a Rocky and my only complaint is the low clearance from roofline to crossbars. The bolts fit, but to be easier I should have cut an inch off all six. If you mounted a second rail and new crossbar it would add atleast 4 - 6 inches of work room at a cost of $200 - $300 more. If you want a mount to keep your wheel on Yakima offers mighty mounts to adapt to flat cross bars for their racks.

Good Luck-

Rob
    safe from what exactly?

there really is no need to spend $200 - $300 dollars more for stonger bars if you only need to carry 2 bikes. Yakima and Thule make it possible to mount their bike racks to factory bars and also give a 2 bike limit using the ride-on or mighty mounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Safety, from a a flexing standpoint. No the rack will not come off if properly attached. The factory crossbars attached to the factory rails have more flex in them than Yakima towers attached to Yakima round crossbars. If you are using a fork mount carrier then one would notice less difference, than if you used a whole bike mount with the whole bike or bikes swaying back and forth up on top of the MDX.

BTW with a SUV it is easier to use a hitch mount anyways instead of a roof mount and standing on the car tire or door sill.

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    Safety, from a a flexing standpoint. No the rack will not come off if properly attached.
    the safety issue is a moot point. flex is NOT unsafe...the crossbars will NOT detach from the car, the rack will NOT detach from the bars and the bike will NOT detach from the rack, there will be some sway but it is NOT unsafe. I installed 2 Highrollers with universal mighty mounts on 4runner yesterday....terrible idea I agree but only because it takes forever to install, can't be locked and cost $450, but Yakima okays it in their fit guide so there's no safety issue.

Again, the only reason to upgrade to Yakima or Thule bars is if the guy wants to carry more than 2 bikes...I guess some stores are just out to make extra money and are not interested in selling the customer what they NEED...or maybe they just don't know their stuff?

Alien Surf Team
    For starters it will be only 1 bike. Maybe 2 later, and if the need grows I'll have to come up with another plan.

Members who have read this thread: 0