Why didn't you buy a Toyota?...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why didn't you buy a Toyota?...

Well first off because the Toyota dealer in my town is not honest. Secondly because we bought a Honda and a Cooper. Since there's only two of us the need for a third car seemed excessive, but that's just me.

Hi!!!
    Back in 2003 I was in the market for a new SUV or truck. I've always had a thing for Tacomas and 4Runners, but I *thought* that they were priced a wee bit above my budget. So I narrowed it down to domestic rigs that were in my price range, more specifically Ford Ranger and Escape and the Jeep Liberty. The Xterra was in 4th place. Also, I had bought a new 2001 Ford Focus at the same dealership where I ended up buying my Escape and had a pretty easy time with the buying process.

I don't have any regrets with my purchase, but as soon as my Escape is paid off next fall, I'm gonna start looking at getting a Tacoma and selling the Focus.

mtbr member
    I hate the dealerships. Toyota dealers can skimp on the customer service in their sales and service departments due to the demand for the vehicles. The Toyota distributor for the Gulf Coast region, Gulf States Toyota, has the right to tack on an extra value package on every vehicle. This is the less expensive "choice" on a 4runner:

The Extra Mile Option Package B
    -Custom Tape Stripe
    -Cargo Net
    -First Aid Kit
    -Carpet Mat Set (5 Pc)
    -Fabric Guard
    -Wheel Locks
    -Road Hazard Tire Warranty
    -(3 Years / 36,000 Miles)
    -Roadside Assistance (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles
    -Extra Mile Extended Life Tires
    -(6 Yrs/100,000 Miles)

Woo-hoo all that $695!!!! These extra mile option packages are not optional in that without the package is not an option. On other models the upgrade is for cheezy alloy wheels and shatty tires. Pisses me off and Toyota co. allows it to happen.
    "I swear, as God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

mtbr member
    Because with 155K miles on it, my 94 Nissan Pathfinder still has no problems carrying me and my friends into the mountains for backcountry ski trips (it plows through mud and snow). Although it won't fit sheets of plywood it does just fine with rolls of insulation or a handfull of 8' long 2x4s etc in it.

The wife's Jetta wagon is the bomb for road trips.

Other than that, my town is 5 miles from end to end. A bike gets me everywhere else I need to go.

Why would I trade any of that to make car payments?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Because Toyota doesn't make a Wrangler!!

In all seriousness, I work in management for an auto group with 16 (soon to be 19) stores and have access to pretty much every make and model at cost or less. I end up trading out of my cars every 2 years or so and have never bought anything new. I probably won't end up buying a Toyota any time soon due to the simple fact that they don't produce a vehicle that fits my wants and needs. Being on the "other side of the coin", buying a car doesn't have to be a pain in the arse, and pretty much everyone builds a quality product.

Simply put, they don't build what I want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Because for the same price as a loaded Tunrda 1/2 ton I could buy a loaded Ford 1 ton Crew cab 4x4 with a diesel engine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Because Toyota wanted $27,000 for a 3 year-old 4Runner with cloth seats. That and it needs premium fuel for 240hp. So I bought a new 2006 Xterra that runs on low grade fuel and make 265hp out of the same sized motor and has a track system in the back that I built a bike rack for. All for $23,000 out the door.

mtbr member
    Being a Chevy fan for years. I made up my mind to buy a new Z-71 4X4, 4 door in 2004 to replace my 94 Z that had been a great truck. Thinking back over the ten years I had it, it really wasn't that great. Transmission, A/C and numerous other high $ repairs, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Toyota Taco 4X4 4-door.
    My only regret is not buying a Toyota in 94.

They might cost more, and the dealers not be that appealing, but bottom line. They are well worth the money.
    Just my .02.....which ain't worth a penny.

First post......Been coming to this mtbr.com for years, and never noticed the forum. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Because I'm 15...

Riding and loving it

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenraptor
    Because I'm 15...

Thats no escuse. Buy an ald porshe 914 and spend a year working on it.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DoktorNo
    I hate the dealerships. Toyota dealers can skimp on the customer service in their sales and service departments due to the demand for the vehicles.
    You said it. I went to one dealership to buy through costo auto and they quoted me the wrong price and claimed the costo web deal was incorrect. I went to another dealer however that is smaller and more rural and they fought to get me to buy from them. They gave me a stellar deal on a new tacoma double cab longbed trd sport. I got it out the door tax and title included for 24,340. MSRP is 27,500 and that does not include tax. Many of the dealers customer service was horrid but Toyota of El Cajon was honest and very helpful and best of all NO PRESSURE!. One thing many don't consider is resale value. I sold my 2001 Toyota celica with 80,000 miles for 12,500. I paid 22,000 for it new. Granted it was in excellent condition but with toyota you get a good return on your investment.

mtbr member
    I wanted an AWD wagon that had some decent performance.

Subaru WRX wagon thanks.
    :wq

mtbr member

Dude, that is not an investment...

Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    You said it. I went to one dealership to buy through costo auto and they quoted me the wrong price and claimed the costo web deal was incorrect. I went to another dealer however that is smaller and more rural and they fought to get me to buy from them. They gave me a stellar deal on a new tacoma double cab longbed trd sport. I got it out the door tax and title included for 24,340. MSRP is 27,500 and that does not include tax. Many of the dealers customer service was horrid but Toyota of El Cajon was honest and very helpful and best of all NO PRESSURE!. One thing many don't consider is resale value. I sold my 2001 Toyota celica with 80,000 miles for 12,500. I paid 22,000 for it new. Granted it was in excellent condition but with toyota you get a good return on your investment.
    ...but perhaps a good value for service and product. I will grant you that Toyota has better resale, but anytime you want to give me $22K and get $12.5K back, feel free to send the check for that investment

Sorry folks....few cars (ok, maybe collector type cars) are investments, but rather significant costs.
    No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself- F. Neitzsche

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

You have a point

Quote Originally Posted by BikePharmer
    ...but perhaps a good value for service and product. I will grant you that Toyota has better resale, but anytime you want to give me $22K and get $12.5K back, feel free to send the check for that investment

Sorry folks....few cars (ok, maybe collector type cars) are investments, but rather significant costs.
    You are right it is not a true return on an investment but I was pretty happy getting more than half the original cost back after 6 years of use. I had an f-150 that I bought for 16,000 which sold after 4 years for only 7,000.

Captain Underpants
    Ummm, because they make boring cars?

I do like their trucks though.

ballbuster

Imo...

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Well first off because the Toyota dealer in my town is not honest. Secondly because we bought a Honda and a Cooper. Since there's only two of us the need for a third car seemed excessive, but that's just me.
    My family has owned a bunch of Toyotas... mostly Tercels and Corollas. I've had friends who have Tacomas, 4-runners, Prius, etc.

Toyotas are great cars. Well engineered, last forever.

Boring as krapp to drive.

... IMO ...

That said, if I get a truck, it will probably be a 4-Runner or Tacoma. I'm still on the fence if I even want a truck next time around.

mtbr member

Because i bought a used Toyota

1992 Standard bed, 22R motor, solid as a " width="549">rock

mtbr member
    Because none of their offerings appealed to us.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I did.

While more expensive than thier counterparts, my 2004 4Runner has been worth every penny. It's the perfect combination of off-road and on-road performance.

YMMV
    MAC
    Cannondale Rush

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    In 2001 I bought a new truck and I was trying to decide whether or not I should get a Toyota or a Nissan. I went to look at Toyotas first and they didn't want to deal at all so I walked. I went to look at Nissans and they were a lot more willing to bargain with me and I got a great deal on one. I had great luck with that truck and sold it to my father who still has it as a back up vehicle. It has 170K miles on it now and its had zero issues, all its needed was alittle bit of routine maintenance. I replaced it with an 05 LE crew cab that has been flawless so far. Toyotas are great trucks too, but you can't convince me that they're any better than the Frontiers and you can get a Frontier for cheaper. I got the '05 for 100 over invoice.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Because I have a thing for my Nissan Sentra which is a week or so away from hitting 1,250,000 km / 787,500 miles and is still going strong.

The only downside to a car that alwys goes, burns very little fuel, and is solid as a rock is that it only has room for one bike.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    We looked at them because my wife wanted a Toyota. I made her look around since Toyotas are very overpriced, and the dealers couldn't care less about your patronage. Ended up buying a Dodge because it was thousands less for more car. She's had it 4 years now and loves it. There have been a couple of issues that we probably wouldn't have had with the Toy, but the total cost for repairs was less than $500 so we're still way ahead of the game.

Plus I can actually fit in the front or back seat of the Dodge. The back seat of the Crayola is a no go, and the Camry is really tight.

Az

mtbr member
    What kind of silly topic is that ?

You might as well start a topic in General Discussions which says, "Why didn't you buy a turner ?" or "Why didn't you go with SRAM ?".

In any event, I didn't buy a Toyota because none of their vehicles appealed to me... until they came out with the FJ Cruiser. I've been fixated on the FJ for a while now and I'm preparing to make the plunge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Funny how only Toyota owners complain about paying too much and are proud of it.

I agree, nothing meets my needs. I like to be involved when I drive. Just like when/why I ride.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I did buy a Toyota -- a 96 4Runner which I picked up from a dealer about two seconds before they wholesaled it. I got it for a price which would have allowed me to replace the transmission and still come out below book. I love it.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Because used toyotas just don't have pretty price tags!
    It's not a real sport until it hurts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Their version of AWD was not good enough....

I wanted to buy a Toyota this time around but I wanted an AWD wagon that actually had true AWD that worked (for around $20K) well on really steep grades and very loose gravel. Nothing but Audi AWD came close and Audis cost too much so I went with the Subaru. I am a big Toyota fan though- love the Tundra and the Landcruiser.

Big "T"
    Nov 2004
    I spent the last year shopping for trucks. After two Outbacks in a row I had to give up on Subaru. They make damn good cars, but nothing that I can tow a trailer with, load up with 6 bikes and enough gear for a cross country trip to a 24 hr race and transport 4 people.

As much as I've always wanted a Toyota, when it came time to ante up I just couldn't see why they were worth all the extra cash. The Tacoma is too small to haul anything serious, and the Tundra is ridiculously overpriced. I narrowed it down to a Nissan Titan and an F150.

The F150 4x4 Crew Cab with a Triton 5.4 won out.

Now I'm waiting for my A.R.E. cap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Dealer Tried To Rip Me

I looked at Toyotas at my local dealership. I looked at Tacomas and Tundras. The dealer wanted to charge me 8% interest on the loan. That's a total rip-off, considering I have excellent credit. The car I was going to trade in...I got at 1.9% financing. I asked the guy, "How are you going to tell me I have to pay 8% interest with excellent credit?" I guess he thought I was too stupid to ask what interest rate he was using for his calculations for monthly payments. He looked sheepish and said, "Well, maybe we can get you 4.5 or 5%." I said, "Why would I pay that much when another dealer will give me 0% financing. That makes no sense." They were not coming down ONE PENNY on the price of ANY of their vehicles, either! They were NOT bargaining at ALL.

They must have thought I had fallen off of a dump truck that day. Or maybe demand is so high for Toyotas that they can afford to lose a deal to the occasional smart customer. So be it. I left and bought a Chevy Trailblazer the next week and got $3000 more on my trade-in. Toyota lost a customer only because they had bad business practices at that dealership.

Members who have read this thread: 0