who should i talk to about a car loan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

who should i talk to about a car loan

ot: who should i talk to about a car loan
    i just graduated and will moving to California w/in a week for a new job!! i found a used 01 civic for a good price, but im pretty much out of money. i did a Google search on car loans, but its tough for me to weed out the sleazy companies vs. the reputable lenders. I've never taken out any loans other than the government ones offered through FAFSA, so I'm storming through some very unfamiliar territory w/ little time to spare!

anyone you can recommend?

if not, i just plan to head to my wellsfargo tomorrow morning since its just around the corner.

thanks, any help is appreciated

119000 for a 2001 civic ex worth a serious look?
    $6400

car rack for a civic? trunk vs roof? manufacturers to stay away from? low budget again... plan to carry 2 bikes at a time.

mtbr member
    As far as the loan goes, start with your bank. Don't jump to wells fargo or some other lender before shopping around, or you will end up paying sky high interest, this 25% and up.

As for th e rack, I like roof racks, but they can be expensive. Try and pick up a used Yakima or Thule set up. If you just find crossbars get the bike trays from rockeymounts, I love mine and they are way less $ that Yak or Thule. Downside, roof racks kill your fuel mileage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Try a credit union first. They have great rates and are easy to join. Another option is to do a Capital One car loan (higher interest). They don't have restrictions on how old the car is or how many miles it has.

mtbr member
    01 civic ex $6400 119,000miles has a clean title, but discrete evidence of body work at some point. dealer claims it to be from hail damage

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Some banks won't lend you money if the car is x number of years old or if it's over 100k miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I second the credit union... the interest rate I was offered from mine was about half that of my bank. They also offered the same interest rate for a used car as they did for a new car, while some banks have higher rates for used cars.

mtbr member
    +1 on the credit union. i got a good rate through a credit union on my forester. (but not as good as the 0% i had through ford credit on my mustang before it)

Curb Jumper
    Quote Originally Posted by laackund
    01 civic ex $6400 119,000miles has a clean title, but discrete evidence of body work at some point. dealer claims it to be from hail damage
    I would move on. over 100k on an '01 wih evidence of previous bodywork? sounds like the car was used and abused. If ya can, take a magnet to all the panels to check for bondo work. they probably changed all the fluids but I would check the oil for metal plakes anyways. IMO, find another car. Theres tons of amazing deals out there, you just need to look. I would probably pay 455 at most for that civic, and I dont even like Civics all that much. take a look around, theres a better deal to be had, no doubt.

Members who have read this thread: 0