Who has bought a Subaru w/ the IMBA Deal ?- Mtbr.com
    featherweight clydesdale

Who has bought a Subaru w/ the IMBA Deal ?

I was wondering who has bought a Subaru using the discount available to IMBA members?

What kind of deal did you get, dealer cost?? Did you have to buy off the lot or could you special order? Was it negotiation free? Did you find a lower price elsewhere after you bought?

mtbr member

Not available on all models

My son recently purchased a WRX/STI and the IMBA deal was not available for special models.

So, guess it depends on what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    The IMBA website now says that the WRX STi is eligible on a "sold order basis only" whatever that means. It is also subject to dealer availability and ultimately the dealer's discretion. I've never actually done it though.

mtbr member

He found a demo and bought that.

Total cost was $28 K including tax which was way under list and the demo had only a little over 1000 miles and was the color he wanted. There really are no options on the STi other than the boost gauge which was included.

FYI his is blue with gold alloy wheels. Very nice.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    I was wondering who has bought a Subaru using the discount available to IMBA members?

What kind of deal did you get, dealer cost?? Did you have to buy off the lot or could you special order? Was it negotiation free? Did you find a lower price elsewhere after you bought?
    We went to Subaru after doing the IMBA thing. The dealership had no idea what the heck we were talking about, but after a few phone calls, we figured out that we get some mysterious discount, which was the exact same price we had negotiated without it in about 1 minute, while the manager was making the calls. So the discount is a load of nothing. Just like the 'Bikes fly free' joke. A discount from full price down to what you would pay anyway. I like IMBA, but the 'discounts' are empty.

We bought a VW Passat Wagon. We did not like the new 2005 Subarus. The VW is much nicer for us because it is larger and has a nicer interior. But that's my opinion.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Does the Passat...

come in AWD?

If I was to buy a new car it'd definitely be AWD. Which makes the Subarus attractive. I ride my bike(s) just about everywhere except for the mountains to either ride or snowboard. AWD is great for winter, mountain driving.

Kind of a moot point though 'cause I'm probably just gonna pay off my little Ranger and drive it 'til the wheels fall off.

-Trevor

stay thirsty, my friends
    VW's make some awd models that they call 4motion . . .

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    2002 Outback bought from Subaru of Temple (TX)
    25 K with options.
    Quick, painless deal.

Haggling be4 pursuing an imba purchase is against the rules of the imba program---so I'd have to say maybe I saved and maybe I didnt--but I always heard Subaru does not tend to haggle.??]

Anyway wanted the subie for the storage and I assume it helps imba out so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly

paintbucket
    I came close. Cost would've been dealer cost (available at edmunds.com) plus delivery, with no haggling. I thought it was a good deal, but decided to keep what I was already driving instead.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    come in AWD?

-Trevor
    yes, 4motion, which is the same (or really close) as audi quattro. But we got a front wheel drive, because we felt the trade-off of loss of trunk space and worse fuel economy were not worth it where we live (New England). We just put on winter tires.
    Maybe if I lived in Colorado or something, but I would get an Audi quattro wagon. The subarus just did not appeal to us.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Stick with the Subaru

The IMBA deal is good. You buy the car for invoice minus any incentive (none on 05's). It's not real hard to buy a Subaru around invoice anyway, but the difference is the dealer gets to make a few extra dollars with the IMBA deal. The 05's have some great financing deals and the new cars are really nice.

The Passat is also a great car, but be sure you have a good dealer who is close by. You'll be seeing him alot.

mtbr member

I've been happy with carsdirect.com...

I bought my last two cars through them.

www.carsdirect.com

You put in your zip code and the make of car your interested in, and they list prices for various trims. If you want to buy the car, they'll find a dealer in your area that will sell you the car for that price. The prices of my 2 cars were much lower than the prices listed by Consumer Reports and even lower than the best "One at This Price!" adds in the paper that they allways sell by the time you get to the dealer. At least check out the prices. There's no obligation to buy.