Who does this to cars...- Mtbr.com
    Harrumph

Who does this to cars...

I think it's the same people who do it to bikes. Perusing the FGG has become a habit. I enjoy the legitimately cool bikes about as much as the trendy abominations that show up. It's that thing were someone is trying sooo hard to be unique that they do the same crap everyone else chasing the trend is doing. It only makes sense that the person who takes a perfectly fine un-noteworthy bike, hacks up some parts, adds stickers, useless components for style only, and makes other modifications to severely limit the utility of the chosen victim would do the same to cars. It wasn't until this submission Clicky that I realized a connection between the fixi fad and the modified car scene. It's the same game just with a poor utilitarian automobile rather than an old bike frame. The bicycle in this case isn't that bad, but there are still a few silly things modified from the stock bike like the stickers to make it a "Gangster" instead of a Langster, platform pedals with no brakes, the tires that are mismatched just for the sake of it. It's not nearly as bad as some others in the FGG, but I can see an Aerospoke, 6in wide riser bars with a 60 degree drop stem, spoke cards, and a plaid toptube pad in it's future. The car is a little worse in this example. It's most likely a 4cyl automatic Eclipse. I wish I could see the rest of the car, but from the back alone you can see it is a special GTR version...or is it a GT...Oh, it's a GT RACER of course. With the obligatory giant exhaust. I'd place money that it has blue headlight bulbs(not HID, just blue...and probably poorly aimed), spray painted interior pieces, "sponsor" stickers, and some neon lighting. OK, enough of my Grinchy rant. Just an interesting and amusing connection for me. And if this is your car/bike hopefully you don't hurt anyone else with your poor taste in transportation modification over the holidays.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    I have no idea why make things look good, other than the FACT that red is the fastest color and if your fork has thoes new tribal decals (Rock Shox and Marz) it dampends better and is butter smoothe. If it were up to me cars should go fast and handle well, the same with bikes and whatever it looks like and accompleshes these things is fine. right now I have a fairly stock C-dale Judge that absolutly rips both of these, and an old jeep cherokee that does none of this, maybe an WRX STI is in my future......

or maybe we should all strip the paint of the frames and components because it is just extra weight?

function over fashion
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ok, now I'm just showing my age and that I was a regular lurker on the FGG a while back. Anybody notice the freewheel on the flopped side? And no brakes? Boy's got options, and all of them hurt! I'll bet the poor kid took a pounding over there.

Stiff yet compliant
    You don't understand why people do some of the things they do.
    Others don't understand why you do some of the things you do.
    Welcome to earth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    See, that's the power of the FGG. One trip back and I'm already a critical a-hole! I do have to say, though, that brakes really do screw up the appearance of a bike frame. Still, I'm very in favor of them!

I hope the folks that post bikes on the FGG realize what they set themselves up for. It's like sitting up front at a Henny Youngman show...

Auto-x addict
    This thread looks familiar!

Where's BoondoggleSVX?

ballbuster

Heh, don't get me started

I always get a laugh (at, not with) the ricer kiddies who put the ridiculously large spoilers on the BACK of front wheel drive cars. Hondas, Neons.... Nothing shows the lack race car smarts more than a huge dragging spoiler to hold down the rear end at speed (as in, over 80MPH) on a FWD car that tends to understeer like crazy already. Those knuckleheads prolly have no idea that their car is probably slower with that whale tail on their cars.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I always get a laugh (at, not with) the ricer kiddies who put the ridiculously large spoilers on the BACK of front wheel drive cars. Hondas, Neons.... Nothing shows the lack race car smarts more than a huge dragging spoiler to hold down the rear end at speed (as in, over 80MPH) on a FWD car that tends to understeer like crazy already. Those knuckleheads prolly have no idea that their car is probably slower with that whale tail on their cars.
    Oh yes, and it's made all the more sweeter by the fact that my car is now a little on the fast side, so it's funny to look at all their cars with the dumb mods. Huge wheels are usually a lot slower due to the rotational mass, most downforce or aero mods add drag, most exaust mods don't do anything because there's no engine management and bigger intake to go with it, not to mention that just putting an axle-back unit on simply makes it louder, doesn't add anything, and so on. +10 points if your big pimp wheels show off your drum brakes. Just watch out for the rare civic or similer car with a huge front-mount intercooler in the nose, which is usually connected to a pretty big sized turbo. When those take off, it's like god kicked them in the a$$.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0