Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?- Mtbr.com
    bigger than you.

Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?

I do.
    Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?-fz1907.jpg

mtbr member

Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?

I've thought about it, my mount needs a little more work before it is road worthy though. It's too bouncy.
    I do have a question for those of you that do though. What do you do with your motorcycle gear(helmet, jackets, gloves, boots...)while you're riding? I don't ride without my gear and I'm just worried it would get jacked at the trail head while I'm out mountain biking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigger than you.
    I carry a u lock with a cable and run that through my jacket & pants, my helmet get locked to the bike and my gloves how under the seat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I do, but quite a bit differently.

The MTB:
    Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?-mtb-mount.jpg

The fatty:
    Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?-fatty-mount.jpg

Gear storage is easy also since the sidecar has a 3cf locked trunk under the rack.

Have a good one.
    tony b
    2000 Trek 8000 LT
    2016 Mongoose Dolomite

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just finished fabricating a rack for my Harley Sportster...

I wanted something that I could easily remove when not hauling the mountain bike so I made a template from my Harley sissy bar that utilized Harley's quick release system.

Stoked how clean and easy it is to mount up. Have a few rides with it so far and its really stable, I use a couple tie down straps that connect my mountain bike handlebars to the motorcycle shocks to balance out the leverage hanging off the back of the motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Very impressive!

A friend has a H-D. That QR feature for the backrest is really cool. Great adaptation.

BTW, my sidecar was severely damaged in a not-at-fault collision on the way back from a ride with the fat bike mounted. The Ural might be totaled, but both the mount and fat bike survived in perfect shape.

Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?-20160519_185158.jpg

It is hard to see in the pic, but the front fender put a nice big dent and crease in the nose of the tub.

I'm still waiting to see what the result will be and the collision happened on May 20th. LoL!

Have a good one.
    tony b
    2000 Trek 8000 LT
    2016 Mongoose Dolomite

mtbr member
    Just finished turning a Harbor Freight trailer into a bike hauler. I have a receiver on the rear as well in case I want to add a cooler rack and hang the bike off the back. The hitch carrier is a VeeMe V2 from eTrailer.com
    Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?-image.jpg
    Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Tonred, what ever happened to the case? Hopefully it went well for you. Here is my homemade bike rack for my fatbike on my 82 BMW R65LS.

Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?-11210506_1057296204298963_2258397618094040402_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Norsk View Post
    Tonred, what ever happened to the case? Hopefully it went well for you. Here is my homemade bike rack for my fatbike on my 82 BMW R65LS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11210506_1057296204298963_2258397618094040402_n.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	1114000
    Thanks for asking. What a pain! Liberty Mutual sucks at claims and any form of communication. Progressive was great. It took almost 3mo to get the bike back, but they fixed it to my liking and set LM the bill. I'm still waiting on a settlement offer from LM.

On the good side, there were no long term problems for me, the Ural is good as it is going to get, and the fat bike was undamaged.

You have a couple very nice rides. I'd love to have that boxer motor and GB in the Ural! 40-weaksauce-hp is just not enough, nor is the Russian quality.

Have a good one.
    tony b
    2000 Trek 8000 LT
    2016 Mongoose Dolomite

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Tonered, glad it all worked out. Insurance companies loooove to take your money but when it comes time to help you its like pulling teeth. Those Urals are soooo cool, id love to get one but they are kinda expensive and Ive heard they don't like higher speeds. I ride from Duluth to the twin cities most weekend in the spring, summer and fall so I need a little more speed for the freeway. Have a great day. Takk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yeah. Insurance does suck.

The Urals are not that expensive when you factor in all that you get, sidecar, 2wd, reverse, and a ton of storage space. The low HP, crappy GB, and poor quality are definite weak points. That said, esp given your location, having a four season bike is a great benefit. The worse the weather gets, the better the machine is.

Highways do blow though, and a 155mi of it would be not much fun. Mine is the last year for carbs and I keep it off of fast roads as much as possible. The EFI models are a bit better, esp at managing cylinder head temps.

Used Urals are a great value. A lot of them are garage queens from impulse purchases that take a huge resale hit.

Have a good one.
    tony b
    2000 Trek 8000 LT
    2016 Mongoose Dolomite

western NC
    40ish HP can be enough depending on where you live and how you ride the bike. One of these days maybe I'll rig up a bike mount for the motard.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Definitely. It is good enough for the Seattle area, but you are definitely on the bike's schedule.

Have a good one.
    tony b
    2000 Trek 8000 LT
    2016 Mongoose Dolomite

western NC
    Around a city, on a bigger heavier bike I can definitely see that. That Ural is sweet BTW!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I read somewhere that it only takes 18HP to travel the world, the rest is just wheel spin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Very true. Tooling around at 50mph is just great most of the time. If it was a 40hp diesel motor, I would never complain.

Have a good one.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep

Used a company called https://2x2cycles.com/

Saw it in a DirtRag mag on the same moto I have and had to get it

Who carries their bike on their motorcycle?-20150809_175851.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickngas View Post
    Just finished turning a Harbor Freight trailer into a bike hauler. I have a receiver on the rear as well in case I want to add a cooler rack and hang the bike off the back. The hitch carrier is a VeeMe V2 from eTrailer.com

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	1091953

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	1091954
    While that whole thing is awsome. I do not recomend putting another rack with an ice chest on the back. I don't know your experience with trailers, but. There is a very delicate balance with weight and balance. Too much weight behind the axle picks up the front of the trailer, especially in the bumps. This could pick up your rear tire. Too much weight in front of the axle has the opposite effect and could get your front tire off the ground.

I would hate for you to crash your bikes. Just have to get gopd on the weight and balance qnd be careful. I'm throughly impressed though.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by tonered View Post
    I do, but quite a bit differently.

The MTB:

Name:	MTB mount.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	404.7 KB 
ID:	1060102

The fatty:

Name:	Fatty mount.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	1060103

Gear storage is easy also since the sidecar has a 3cf locked trunk under the rack.

Have a good one.
    I'm picking up a '17 Gear Up in the next couple weeks. Having the guys at the shop throw a hitch receiver on there so I can run a Kuat Sherpa 2.0. Will be able to carry myself, a homie, 2 bicycles and camping gear for a weekend. Will post photos once I get it rolling.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Here's my setup. 17 Gear Up with Kalaber Creations winch/hitch mount, on which Triquest modified the front end and I modified the rear end. I've got a Kuat Sherpa 2 which can carry 2 bicycles up to 35lbs each, with anywhere from 700*23c tires to 650b x 3".

Only time I feel the extra weight off the back is when I'm rolling up the throttle in 2nd gear.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.