Whispbar by Yakima- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Whispbar by Yakima

When did Yakima purchase Whispbar? It's gotta be fairly recent (past 2 months or so?)

My lowrider towers are peeling... wouldn't mind switching to it, if they made adapter kits for say.... Highroller (really, the rear mount)

code: mtbr2011
    it is fairly recent, and they announced it early april. the product is great, and we are expecting our first shipment of the product to be coming in either friday or monday.

i got a sneak preview from yakima at the beginning of april and am really excited to get some of the product in.
    as far as accessories go for now, there's not much to offer, but the base racks are top shelf stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have read from other forums, how quiet the base bars are, compared to the competition....

I wouldn't mind switching to them, but need to figure out how to mount a Highroller to the slots (the front mounting point is easy, the rear, that is where the challenge is)

let me think about that one for you...i know you have both highrollers and frontloaders...the front loader would mount no problem, the highroller is going to be a bit harder.

the slot on the top is a european standard, and until yakima comes out with some new accessories - (the whispbar fork mount is a patent infringement in the us, so it has to be redesigned), alot of yakima accessories don't fit that well.

Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    I have read from other forums, how quiet the base bars are, compared to the competition....

I wouldn't mind switching to them, but need to figure out how to mount a Highroller to the slots (the front mounting point is easy, the rear, that is where the challenge is)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    One the highroller the front mount... use T-bolts, as you would with the Thule Rapid Aero.

the rear...you would have to get something machined to fit into the slot of the HighRoller, which secures to the slot using T-bolts & nuts. This also may mean the rear may sit slighter higher than the front.

you could use the underbar bracket like that of a thule sidearm or a rocky mounts tierod.
    easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    From talking to Yakima today, you have to use those parts that bold around the rack bars. They don't have mounts that attach directly to the t track in the whispbars yet. Sounded like it will work great with the boxes but there needs to be some engineering done to make it clean for the other attachments.

J.