where to get a hitch reciever? ...and load capacity?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

where to get a hitch reciever? ...and load capacity?

i just bought a 2 bike hollywood hitch rack(4 years old) for basically nothing. i drive a 2000 plymoth breeze and was wondering where to buy a reiver for my new rack. i won't be using it for anything but the bike rack. where can i find the cheapest recievers? and also what load capacity should i be looking for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What size do you need - what is the rack a 1.25" or 2" Do you want to put on the hitch yourself or have someone do it?

Uhaul is probably the best. On their website they only list a 1.25" hitch for your car. You will probably have a hard time finding a 2" if that is what the rack is.

36307 Heavy Duty 1 1/4 inch Rec 2 3500 Black $119.95

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    What size do you need - what is the rack a 1.25" or 2" Do you want to put on the hitch yourself or have someone do it?

Uhaul is probably the best. On their website they only list a 1.25" hitch for your car. You will probably have a hard time finding a 2" if that is what the rack is.

36307 Heavy Duty 1 1/4 inch Rec 2 3500 Black $119.95

its a 2" rack and i'll put it on myself. if all i can get is a 1.25" is there not a converter type thing that will work?

would i be better of getting a strap on trunk rack? if so would my haro sonix lt even fit?

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMS
    i just bought a 2 bike hollywood hitch rack(4 years old) for basically nothing. i drive a 2000 plymoth breeze and was wondering where to buy a reiver for my new rack. i won't be using it for anything but the bike rack. where can i find the cheapest recievers? and also what load capacity should i be looking for?
    Do a search for "hitch reciever" on Google Products, or Dealtime, or Shopping.com. They come up with plenty of sellers that have online vehicle fit guides. I did the search myself a couple months ago, but never pulled the trigger on the purchase.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMS
    its a 2" rack and i'll put it on myself. if all i can get is a 1.25" is there not a converter type thing that will work?

would i be better of getting a strap on trunk rack? if so would my haro sonix lt even fit?

you can get a nice strap on trunk rack for the same or less than a reciever hitch.

LDH
    mtbr member
    the 1 1/4 - 2 adapters work fine and moves the bikes back slightly which also helps loading and trunk access.I can't imagine clamping a rack on my sheetmetal/paint.

Slowest Rider
    If there's a hitch for your car, eTrailer has it, like here. I got the Hidden Hitch for my Taurus X, and it wasn't difficult to install. The kit and instructions were very complete.

But they only show 1.25" receivers, so you'll need the adaptor. A bigger issue with sedans is making sure the hitch rack gets up high enough you don't drag the bikes on the ground when your car's loaded and/or going in/out of driveways.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    I picked mine up from JC Whitney. They carry several brands and the price was great. Also U-Haul carries them.

Members who have read this thread: 0