Where do you store your Bike Rack when it's not on the car?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. Where do you store your Bike Rack when it's not on the car?

I recently switched from a Saris Bones rack to a Thule Doubletrack rack for carrying our bicycles around. The Saris Bones was a pain to setup, but at least it would fold down compact for storage.

The Doubletrack folds up, but is still very bulky and heavy. I can imagine this isn't just a problem for the Doubletrack. Unfortunately, Thule didn't seem to consider the storage problem as 1up did with their rack.

I can't leave it on the car since the garage won't close. We can't leave it in the trunk since we use it every day.

I've tried propping it up against the wall, but it doesn't really stand up straight... I've tried putting it up on a shelf, but it's huge. Any other ideas? Hanging it up?

Where do other people store their bike racks when not in use?

All Mountain
    Dec 2010
    mines on a garbage can i dont use in the garage. not the best place to put it but it holds it and keeps it out of the way ha
    AIM - [email protected] is the screen name

Hit Me Up

jrm
    mtbr member

Mine

is one of the old sportworks rack. Its really out of place when not on my truck and its a ***** to carry around. It sits in the garage with the hitch tongue on the floor and the rack itself against the wall. This is the only way i can minimize its impact on the small space i have in my small 1920's garage. If i could hang it that would be nice.

Next best place to put it is outside in a sheltered area, under a tarp on a crate or something. If i keep it on the truck it blocks my license plate tags/number.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    in the hallway outside my apartment door staying warm near a radiator.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Tray-style rack, left unfolded, sits on the floor in the one-car garage that only holds the bikes and gear. The three beater cars stay in the driveway or on the street.

Sometimes, if I'm lazy, I'll leave the rack hitched up, the bike racked, and park that car in the garage, and use another car for a day or two if I know I'll be coming home from work and want to shoot straight out the door to hit some trail pdq.

Daddy of 3 now!
    Hook it up
    Name:  Kuat Sherpa.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  4.4 KB

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Right next to the vehicle in the garage so I can get to it and put it on in a flash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellulose
    Crap.

Now I need a rack for my rack.

Big Hittin'
    i rent out a storage unit just for my rack, its got plenty of room in there. lol

is this thread serious?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2
    is this thread serious?
    lulz. I use my shed. I put it in the corner. I prop it against the wall. I did this after searching for the best method via Google and MTBR

ballbuster
    I recently switched from a Saris Bones rack to a Thule Doubletrack rack for carrying our bicycles around. The Saris Bones was a pain to setup, but at least it would fold down compact for storage.

The Doubletrack folds up, but is still very bulky and heavy. I can imagine this isn't just a problem for the Doubletrack. Unfortunately, Thule didn't seem to consider the storage problem as 1up did with their rack.

I can't leave it on the car since the garage won't close. We can't leave it in the trunk since we use it every day.

I've tried propping it up against the wall, but it doesn't really stand up straight... I've tried putting it up on a shelf, but it's huge. Any other ideas? Hanging it up?

In the trunk. I have a Performance Bike X-Port Faltbed. Folds up pretty flat. Goes right in the trunk.

I keep bikes at work and home. It's handy to keep the rack with me in case I want to lug a bike home to work on it.

code: mtbr2011
    we use this at the shop for some of our displays...and they work really well. this one sat outside for a long time...we used to use it as our "assembly station"

it's just some 2" hitch stock that we cheaply welded onto a plate, and drilled some holes to mount it to the wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where do you store your Bike Rack when it's not on the car?-dscn0213.jpg  

Last edited by cracksandracks.com; 12-08-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Retired User
    I would definitely build a DIY bike rack rack. It's the only practical solution. Be sure to post some photos.

Down South Yooper
    There was a product in Dirt Rag for storing receiver racks while off the vehicle. I can't recall the name right now, but I though it looked like a good idea. Can probably do it yourself cheaper, but for those without access to fabrication/welding stuff, might be a better way to go. I'll probably pick one up after we move from where we are now and have a more convenient place to mount one.

I'll look at the magazine tonight and post the name, can't find it now.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

jrm
    mtbr member

As serious

Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2
    i rent out a storage unit just for my rack, its got plenty of room in there. lol

is this thread serious?
    as the dents on my shins from running into the rack in the dark..

Down South Yooper
    No experience with these, but it looks pretty useful if you have the space. I'll be buying one when I have a better location to use it...

http://www.rackstash.com/

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    In addition to the Rackstash that was suggested by Plum, I also found a series of products from Boone.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_sp...oone%20Outdoor

They have a small wall-mount that will hold the rack (but not bikes) as well as some floor/wall mounted stands that can hold multiple racks and bikes.

Going to give the Boone Wall Mount rack a try...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Here's what I did when I owned a house and hitch rack. The hooks screw into the studs and have a rubberized coating on them. Drill pilot holes first, they're beefy. I picked them up at Home Depot for like $3 a hook maybe. Less than $10 and 15 minutes of work. (That long 2x4 is resting on the top edges of the 2 lower hooks - it's storage and not part of the setup.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where do you store your Bike Rack when it's not on the car?-p1130010.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 2