When did the second lane become the slow lane?- Mtbr.com
    Tree Crasher

When did the second lane become the slow lane?

Never fails. Motorist enters the highway, heads straight to the middle lane and cruises steady and 50 mph or less. Cars have to pass on both sides.

I see this more and more but it wasn't always this way. Did I miss a memo or something?
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I blame the idiots who can't figure out that it might be a good idea to actually speed up to the speed of traffic before merging and slow down once they've exited not while they are still on the highway.
    If you try and cruise along at whatever your chosen speed is in the right-most lane you constantly have to adjust your speed for people merging 10-20 kph below the limit or slowing down the same amount before exiting.

mtbr member
    There are so many inconsiderate a-wipes on the road! I have learned that humans behind the wheel are sick idiots and deserve to die a violent death by flying off a bridge and getting what they deserve.

Sorry I just hate all of them. Sue me.

Innocent bystanders excluded.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It happened right around the time that driving ceased to became a privilege and instead became something that everyone assumes they deserve to do without any regard to learning proper car control and rules of the road.

It also coincided with the modern automobile's near complete transformation into an appliance. The more computer aids built into the car, the less the driver has to care about what is going on around them.

I so wish we had a much stricter driving program like, say, Finland. Tons of hours of driver training, and huge fees to get your license. Then you wouldn't see as many morons on the road. Plus we'd have way more winning pro race car drivers per capita!

since 4/10/2009
    +1 on poor driver training. I think periodic defensive driving courses should be mandatory throughout a person's driving career.

+2 on making driving too convenient/easy. I blame the automatic transmission. It frees a driver's hands to be distracted. With a manual, the driver needs to have a hand available to shift, so it can't constantly be distracted by other things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Technically, in the US anyway, there is no "slow lane" or "passing lane". All lanes are lanes of travel and it is legal to pass on the right (provided there is a lane on the right...the fuzz may frown upon passing on the shoulder...)

And regarding the manual transmission - at highway speeds, most vehicles with a manual trans. are in their high gear anyhow, and shifting is not needed. Hands are still free to text, which is a terrible idea.
    '10 Rockhopper Comp Disc 29er - gonna ride it til I break it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshow
    Technically, in the US anyway, there is no "slow lane" or "passing lane". All lanes are lanes of travel and it is legal to pass on the right (provided there is a lane on the right...the fuzz may frown upon passing on the shoulder...)
    Where are you getting this info? Traffic laws vary from state to state, but usually the left lane is supposed to be reserved for cars wanting to pass another vehicle.

addicted
    The people who camp out in the left lane are the ones who really irk me. especially when they aren't paying attention and speed match the guy in the middle going 50. Oh yeah and I think all prius drivers should be limited to the right lane.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    First hand from the Police Chief of one of the larger cities in Minnesota (my uncle). You are right though, that very well could be a state law. I stand (at least partially) corrected.

Edit: I also agree with the notion (not law) that the left lane should be reserved for passing. If you are going 110mph in a 65mph zone in the left lane, and someone pulls up behind you doing 120mph, you should move to the right and let him pass IMHO.

Retired User
    http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    In my above post I conceded that it may have been a state law, which you have proven with the link.

It is interesting that only Texas (always), Connecticut (when only 2 lanes - I guess on 3+ lane roads, passing on the right is not illegal), and New Jersey (Passing on right prohibited unless vehicles are in "substantially continuous lines") prohibit passing on the right. One more reason to avoid Jersey, I guess. Although, after Jersey Shore I didn't really need another reason.

I missed Rhode Island - looks like they don't let you pass on the right either.

DynoDon
    Thats the Texting lane, but then they all are now, I drove trucks for 30+yrs, I've seen it all, but texting is the most dangerous thing ever, because so many people are doing it, it seems they can't do one thing at a time, they shouldn't be trying to do two things at the sametime, I just hope they all get carpal tunnel syndrome soon..

JRA
    If you are going 110mph in a 65mph zone in the left lane, and someone pulls up behind you doing 120mph, you should move to the right and let him pass IMHO.
    Good advice. However, when I was going 110 the trooper that came up behind me wasn't intent on passing me.

mtbr member
    Getting a driver license in the USA is so easy it's a joke.

And it doesn't help that more driving aids make people pay less attention *cough* automatic transmission *cough*

I think everyone should learn from the Fins. Getting a license there truly teaches a driver everything that needs to be learned.

Members who have read this thread: 0