Wheel or Fork Mounted roof mounted rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Wheel or Fork Mounted roof mounted rack?

Thinking about getting a roof mounted bike carrier for Christmas, so looking for some help on wheel or fork mounted systems...
    What are the pros and/or cons of either system?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    well, i think it comes down to personal preference. if you want convienience, you should probably go with a wheel mounted system as you don't have to take the front wheel off of the bike. But my understanding is that the fork mounted bike racks seem to be more stable. i'm still new to mountain biking but i picked up an upright mount just so that i wouldn't have to take the front wheel off. good luck and merry christmas

mtbr member
    I went with a fork mount when I purchased my setup this spring. Two reasons:

1. As mentioned above, maybe a bit more stable.
    2. More importantly, security. If you look around and check these things in detail, you'll find that the Thule Velo-vice and V2 (I think that's what it's called) offer better than average theft protection. With most systems, even the part that locks the bike in place is only held to the base by a bolt and nut that is in the open to be tampered with. With the V-V or the V2 (for disc brakes), the flap that folds down in the front and clamps the fork in place hides the bolt that holds the bike carrier to the base rack.

This is based upon the assumption that your base rack has the slot on top (like an upside down T ) rather than a system which requires a clamp going around a square tube cross bar.

Hope that makes sense. It's a little tough to describe without pictures.

Most of the base racks available from vehicle manufacturers (for newer vehicles) have this slotted system. Not sure what the rack companies bases are like now.

Members who have read this thread: 0