Wheel or fork mounted roof carrier?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Wheel or fork mounted roof carrier?

Thinking about getting a roof mounted bike carrier for Christmas, so looking for some help on wheel or fork mounted systems...
    What are the pros and/or cons of either system in anybodys experience? Any tips/help much appreciated

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Albanach
    Thinking about getting a roof mounted bike carrier for Christmas, so looking for some help on wheel or fork mounted systems...
    What are the pros and/or cons of either system in anybodys experience? Any tips/help much appreciated
    The Thule Sidearm is the only way I would go. The wheels stay in the bike, works on any bike and on the front or rear wheel, easy on, easy off. Only down side is you must use a separate cable/chain/lock but I always do anyway.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I like the fork mount myself. Honestly, I just prefer the way it looks
    :wq

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Thule Sidearm is the only way I would go. The wheels stay in the bike, works on any bike and on the front or rear wheel, easy on, easy off. Only down side is you must use a separate cable/chain/lock but I always do anyway.
    yep.....shine taking the front wheel off
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I don't like fork mounts because they don't play nice with through axles (or Leftys, but I'm not a fan of those either). That's worth considering.

mtbr member
    I have both. The fork mount is nice because the bike isn't up so high. This is nice when lifting the bike up onto the roof.. but doesn't work (or would be a hassle to fit it) for a bike with a through axle fork.

My Thule Side Arm that I just got is really nice. The bike mounts much quicker and feels every bit as secure or more so and you don't have to remove the front wheel. Not such a bike deal if you have a quick release... a bigger deal if you have a bolt on through axle fork.

Minor sniggle: The tray+sidearm bar are much bulkier looking when no bike is mounted and it cost more than a simple fork mount tray.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I don't reckon that the height thing is a big issue given I'm 6'5", I was looking at the German brand, Atera, sidearm carriers and from a couple of sites they seem to get a better rating than the Thule ones. They provide a lot of car manufacturers with their stuff, Audi, Merc, Mitsubishi, BMW, Volkswagen etc...
    Thanks for the help...

mtbr member
    wheel mount. I have the Yakima king cobra. my old khs dh bike weighed 49 pounds and it stayed in there perfect. its takes less than a minute to throw your bike up there lock it down and you don't have to worry about losing it just watch out for driving into your garage

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    im also still trying to decide on either a fork mount or an upright. taking off the front wheel doesnt bother me, but my only concern is that it seems the fork mount isnt as secure as the sidearm. with the fork mount, cant the bike still fall over to the side?

Figment of Imagination
    I rode with an old Thule fork mount for years, and it worked great. I've upgraded to a dual wheel mount system (Down tube arm), and still use my Fork mount for a third bike when needed.

The fork mount has a retactable axel post that "clamps" onto the fork dropouts to hold onto the bike. I never had a problem with it...
    I may be crazy, but I'm not Stupid!

Members who have read this thread: 0