Whats better? Aero/slot or wraparound tray heads?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Whats better? Aero/slot or wraparound tray heads?

Any feedback on whats better & stronger tray head? I have a euro/aero bar and Ive heard from my LBS that trays with the slot system arent as strong as the trays with heads that wrap around the front bar.

code: mtbr2011
    i personally prefer the wrap around for bikes. using the t channel, like on aero bars is solid for the front, but the adapter for the rear is definitely not as secure and requires using adapters. invariably, there is some play in the rear of the bike tray.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I currently have wraparound Rockymount TieRod heads on Aerobars. It looks OK, is sold as hell, but the "clean" look of using a tray that employs those slots, like the Rockymount EuroPitchfork is appealing to me. But my fear is that I gotta break everything down, start cutting rubber strips for the slot which Im SURE I'll mess up somehow which risks me getting some new whistling, and that the t-slot setup wont be as solid as the wraparound.

code: mtbr2011
    yeah, modifying the tie rod would suck.
    you'd be better off buying a new euro pitchfork head and bolting it to the tray.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thats what I would do.

mtbr member
    The aero setup really does have a cleaner look. As far as strength goes...no idea. I'd say they would be about equal. Regardless of either setup you have one bolt connecting the head and one bolt connecting the tray to either the bar (aero) or the clamp that goes around the bar. For ease of installation the clamp is probably marginally faster. Of course this is based solely on my Thule fork mount trays...other setups may be different.

I've been rocking an aero setup on my VW for over three years. It has been subjected to the humid, wet, and salty air down here in FL. Knock on wood...not one single problem.
    Last edited by A1an; 09-16-2010 at 05:23 AM.
    Signature

Members who have read this thread: 0