What rack for a Suburban?- Mtbr.com
    Caffeine Rider
    Jun 2007

New question here. What rack for a Suburban?

I bought a Thule Revolver for my Suburban, but I am still not convinced that's the best choice. is that a good rack? should i go with another hitch mounted rack or roof-rack? Does anyone use a roof rack on a Suburban? How confortable is it to load?

Thanks,
    g.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Personally I like roof racks. I'm 5'4" and loading onto the roof of a Civic or MINI is very easy, but having seen 1000's of Suburbans I would think you'd have to be fairly tall to use a roof rack comfortably without a step stool. At my height I'd go with a hitch mount if you don't want to just load them into the back.

Caffeine Rider
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the reply, fred3. I like roof racks too, thus the dilemma.

g.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

step stool

I am 5'9 and use a Rubbermaid 2 step stool made out of plastic which retails for $19.99. It folds flat and is not a problem to bring along. I also need the step stool for my ford escape which also has a roof rack.

it tied the room together

T2 on my Tahoe

I have a Thule T2 on my Tahoe. Best rack hands down. The T2 holds two bikes and you can add up to two additional ones as well. Takes about 15 seconds max to load or unload my bike. It can also be tilted downward for rear tailgate access with a bike on it. This works with one bike on, I've never tried to do it with two.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm 6' and have a thule sidearm and velo vice on either side of a rocket box on top of my suburban. I can load either bike rack without a step stool by using the running boards. I have to one hand the bike up there by the downtube and hold on to the truck with the other hand. My sub 30lbs bike is about all I think I can manage the way I currently do it and it isn't easy.

Like you I like roof racks but I do worry about the bikes a little while they are up there and think there is a fuel mileage cost as well.

I think the Thule T2 hitch mount looks good (it the same as the Sidearm but hitch mounted) but I don't like having the bike in the way of opening the back on road trips with the family.

My favorite choice by far is having them inside the truck.
    2 wheels

Caffeine Rider
    Jun 2007
    Why is everone using T2? is Revolver new on the market? the main difference I see is the bottom rupport for the bike, but the lower cost and the ability to easily open the back seem to make up for it.

it tied the room together
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetaddict
    Why is everone using T2? is Revolver new on the market? the main difference I see is the bottom rupport for the bike, but the lower cost and the ability to easily open the back seem to make up for it.
    Some FS bikes don't fit so well on racks designed to support the bike using its top tube.

The T2 holds the bikes securely and its ease of loading and unloading is unmatched. The Revolver is nice if you're carrying 4 bikes and they all can be supported by the top tube. If not the T2 is a great alternative. If you need more than 2 bikes on there at a time, you'll have to pony up a bit more dough. (T2 $369 + T2 2 bike add-on $260 = $629 retail )

If you're interested in the T2, call Thule and ask about the tilt feature. I am sure that with 4 bikes on the rack, tilting it down will be easy, getting it back up may pose a challenge. The Revolver will swing open and shut with ease comparatively.
    Last edited by TrumbullCT; 06-28-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Caffeine Rider
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrumbullCT
    Some FS bikes don't fit so well on racks designed to support the bike using its top tube.
    That makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0