What is the quickest on-and-off hitch rack?- Mtbr.com
    Afric Pepperbird

What is the quickest on-and-off hitch rack?

I'm looking for a new rack for my brand new car. I currently have a Thule Doubletrack 990XT that was on my old car, but I am looking for something that goes on and comes off in under a minute, is lightweight, and stores easily. The Thule is fairly heavy and bulky, and does not fold up nice and compact for storing in the trunk. I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP THE RACK ON THE HITCH AT ALL TIMES, like on my old car.

I have seen the 1up racks, and they look very nice. Is there anything else out there I should be looking at besides 1up?

I was also considering going rack-less with a SeaSucker, but I'm leaning against that. But I sure do love its quickness and ease of installation!

Roof mounted racks are out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    1up is always the best and only solution

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Agreed! I've had my 1up for over a year now.

code: mtbr2011
    the yakima highight racks go on and off really easily. they're a hanging style, which i know isn't like your doubletrack, but super fast and easy..no tools.

ballbuster

145th that

Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    1Up is ridiculously simple. A spin of the special security allen wrench on one single bolt, and it pops off.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

This 1-Up record is getting old here... and I mean that in a positive way. I love mine and at a year old it looks new!!
    I see all types of racks at the park I ride at and everybody wants to know about mine. Loading a bike takes about 3.5 seconds, whereas the other racks take forever since most guys/gals have to use bungie cords to keep their bikes from flying off....Now why would I want a rack like that ??
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    This 1-Up record is getting old here... and I mean that in a positive way. I love mine and at a year old it looks new!!
    I see all types of racks at the park I ride at and everybody wants to know about mine. Loading a bike takes about 3.5 seconds, whereas the other racks take forever since most guys/gals have to use bungie cords to keep their bikes from flying off....Now why would I want a rack like that ??
    Thanks for the replies! And while I know it takes a few seconds to load the bike on the rack, what I really wanted (and perhaps I should have clarified this more) is getting the rack on and off the car quickly. And preferrably a rack that can be compacted and stored in a car trunk.

Thanks

ballbuster
    Well, also.... no hitch rack is really that hard to get on and off the car. The ones with threaded hitch pins take longer, but really it isn't that long. I wouldn't let that steer you in your buying decision too much.

That said, I have a bud with a 2" 4 bike T2 on his SUV. That thing is a pretty moderate PITA to take on and off by yourself just cause it weighs so much. With a helper it's easy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I looked at 1up but opted for a KŁat NV. I can have it on/off in a matter of seconds. However, it is a big rack (I needed space for four bikes). If I only needed room for two bikes, the 27lb. Sherpa would be my choice. Incredible engineering and great support.
    Kuat Racks
    I'll never go back to Yakima, Thule, etc. Made in the USA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1up. End of thread!
    Flat.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Thanks for the replies! And while I know it takes a few seconds to load the bike on the rack, what I really wanted (and perhaps I should have clarified this more) is getting the rack on and off the car quickly. And preferrably a rack that can be compacted and stored in a car trunk.

Thanks
    IMHO there is no smaller rack than the 1-UP as it folds up very compactly and comes of the hitch in less than 10 seconds...The rack is like a piece of origami and will fit in just about any trunk unless you have a Smart car.....

Afric Pepperbird
    Well, it's a toss-up between 1up, and the completely different SeaSucker. I think I'm gonna get the SeaSucker. I'll let you all know later in the spring how I like it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    That is quite a different approach. Please give an update when you can!!

ballbuster

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    IMHO there is no smaller rack than the 1-UP as it folds up very compactly and comes of the hitch in less than 10 seconds...The rack is like a piece of origami and will fit in just about any trunk unless you have a Smart car.....
    I just keep mine in the trunk of the car when I take it off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've taken off and stored away an NSR-4 rack in about 2 minutes. Getting it back on took about 4 minutes. I am not a big guy either.

Afric Pepperbird
    Change of plans...

I just bought a hitch for my new car, and will soon be buying a 1up Quick-Rack!

I truly do like the idea of a SeaSucker, and think it would handle well, but I:

1) Don't want to remove the front tire each time
    2) Don't want to lift my bike onto the roof (the chances for scratches is higher than the norm)
    3) Would prefer some security, no matter how little. I can at least throw a cable lock around the 1up.

By the way, I plan on frequently putting on and taking off the 1up. Is that security allen bolt not prone to stripping?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The security allen is not a weak point. I had a roof rack and went to a hitch for all the same reasons. The last thing I want to do after a long ride is hoist my bike over my head. I'm too lazy for that kind of thing.

If it makes you worry less, if you find yourself stripping out that allen bolt, it is replaceable. Just like everything else on the 1up.

ballbuster

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Change of plans...

I just bought a hitch for my new car, and will soon be buying a 1up Quick-Rack!

I truly do like the idea of a SeaSucker, and think it would handle well, but I:

1) Don't want to remove the front tire each time
    2) Don't want to lift my bike onto the roof (the chances for scratches is higher than the norm)
    3) Would prefer some security, no matter how little. I can at least throw a cable lock around the 1up.

By the way, I plan on frequently putting on and taking off the 1up. Is that security allen bolt not prone to stripping?
    IIRC, that allen wrench and security bolt is something custom made for 1Up. While the same wrench fits all the racks, it is very unlikely that anybody who is going to poach your rack is going to have one.

That said, it can be secured to your car using the right sized U-Lock, if you are so worried.

It's way solid. When I put my rack on, I torque it down by stepping on the allen wrench with my foot. They used really good quality hardware.

BTW, those rack locks on other racks are just there to give you a false sense of security anyway. They are easily defeated with a big flat screwdriver and a pair of vice grips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The "security" allen is a standard design available all over the tubes and real brick and mortar shops. Sorry

ETA: Pimpbot-you're right that most people would not have such an allen on them, unless they also had a 1up rack. I just didn't want to convey a false sense of security.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Don't forget the special security allen wrench...

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    1Up is ridiculously simple. A spin of the special security allen wrench on one single bolt, and it pops off.
    ...for the license plates so you can take it off your car and mount it on your rack. Because otherwise it could be obscured and could get you a ticket, given that all the govt. entities are broke and looking for reasons to cite motorists to raise revenue. Notice how the plate in the 1Up picture is missing so as not to accentuate this issue?

Seriously, a lot if not most hitch rack/bike combinations have this issue not just 1Up. A QR license plate system needs inventing so you can quickly remove it and throw it on the rack and vice versa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Putting on my 1UpUSA rack literally takes 1 minute from hanging on the wall to installed and a bike on. Adding add on rack kits takes about 15-60 seconds depending on if you brought them out with you when you brought out the main rack piece.

I'm not kidding. It's that fast and easy.

J.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    I looked at 1up but opted for a KŁat NV. I can have it on/off in a matter of seconds. However, it is a big rack (I needed space for four bikes). If I only needed room for two bikes, the 27lb. Sherpa would be my choice. Incredible engineering and great support.
    Kuat Racks
    I'll never go back to Yakima, Thule, etc. Made in the USA.
    Wow those racks look amazing. I love the built in work stand feature. I think I just found a rack for my new car. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have the Yakima Highlite aluminum 2 bike hitch rack. It is fast to put on and off as it has a turn knob you just turn to tighten up in the hitch. That knob has a key hole on it to lock it into the hitch so fishing the correct key out of your pocket is probably what takes the most time. Then there is a built in cable that pulls out of the top of the rack that goes around your bike frame and locks the bike to the rack. That uses the same key as the lock on the hitch. The aluminum Highlite rack is extremely light weight and the arms fold down so it is easier to store. The rack does block the rear license plate though.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusHQ View Post
    I have the Yakima Highlite aluminum 2 bike hitch rack. It is fast to put on and off as it has a turn knob you just turn to tighten up in the hitch. That knob has a key hole on it to lock it into the hitch so fishing the correct key out of your pocket is probably what takes the most time. Then there is a built in cable that pulls out of the top of the rack that goes around your bike frame and locks the bike to the rack. That uses the same key as the lock on the hitch. The aluminum Highlite rack is extremely light weight and the arms fold down so it is easier to store. The rack does block the rear license plate though.
    Looks nice and light. But I see I failed to mention that I was looking for a platform rack. Oops.

I'll be buying a 1up tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0