what are the pros and cons of a jeep wrangler?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

what are the pros and cons of a jeep wrangler?

definitely because you can go offroad with no problems.

mtbr member
    Con: definitely because you'll have to drive it on the road the VAST majority of the time (even though they are much better than they used to be).

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Pros:
    - Off-road performance is arguably second to none.
    --- factory Rubicon package is a relative bargain if you really want to go offroad
    - Cheaper than a Land Rover and most other off-road capable SUVs
    - convertibles are fun
    - style - they're cool trucks - people like them

Cons:
    - not cheap for level of creature comforts. Manual windows on a >$25k truck - seriously?
    - fuel economy is terrible (though not out of line with other vehicles of similar weight)
    - interior storage isn't great
    - highway ride leaves a lot to be desired
    - top is a hassle to put up/down

Basically, if you want an off-road capable convertible, the Jeep is the answer. Unless you want to buy a 20 year old Suzuki.

If you just want an SUV, there are plenty of dirt-road capable SUVs at the same price point that function better as daily drivers.

I seriously considered one. But, they just didn't work as family haulers. Small back seat, not enough trunk space. If I didn't have a 6' tall teenager, I might own one. I ended up with a CPO Lexus RX330 instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    pros:
    will go anywhere....no, make that anywhere!
    is like a mt bike, can upgrade and make every aspect better
    will go anywhere
    can be top off and doors off convertible in under 20 minutes
    will go anywhere
    cops dont think you are speeding when you are cuz they "look" slow
    will go anywhere
    it just as biking becomes a lifestyle...
    jeep wave
    solid build....Ive got over 120k on mine.

cons:
    it stands for Just Empty Every Pocket...but you guys already understand this concept w/ mtb
    its a slow mover...even with gears, big tires and higher COG make it a racecar not. If you like to drive like RickyRacer dont bother.
    if you get into it you WILL be replacing parts as you break em.
    parts can be expensive to upgrade
    tires-the next size up is never big enough.
    it'll go anywhere....everyone will ask u to pull them out
    not very much cargo room

Jeeps are something that you want....they will Daily Drive as I do mine....they are damn cool. Jeeps arent for everyone...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crack Monkey
    Pros:
    - Off-road performance is arguably second to none.
    --- factory Rubicon package is a relative bargain if you really want to go offroad
    - Cheaper than a Land Rover and most other off-road capable SUVs
    - convertibles are fun
    - style - they're cool trucks - people like them

Cons:
    - not cheap for level of creature comforts. Manual windows on a >$25k truck - seriously?
    - fuel economy is terrible (though not out of line with other vehicles of similar weight)
    - interior storage isn't great
    - highway ride leaves a lot to be desired
    - top is a hassle to put up/down

Basically, if you want an off-road capable convertible, the Jeep is the answer. Unless you want to buy a 20 year old Suzuki.

If you just want an SUV, there are plenty of dirt-road capable SUVs at the same price point that function better as daily drivers.

I seriously considered one. But, they just didn't work as family haulers. Small back seat, not enough trunk space. If I didn't have a 6' tall teenager, I might own one. I ended up with a CPO Lexus RX330 instead.
    The 4 door version adresses most of the bad things you pointed out. I loved mine. Even with 37" tires and a 4" lift, I got 19-20mpg on the hwy. It went down the hwy great. It was quiet and comfortable. The top was easy to take off. Go drive a new 4 door Wrangler and it will blow you away.

drinker
    Jan 2004
    old ones can be had cheap....i paid 2 grand for mine, but it is still a rusted pile of heep, as every jeep ends up being.......

it is a fun vehicle, not our daily driver though, it's LOUD from wind noise and no weatherstripping.

again, not much space, enough to go camping for the weekend with our dogs, but not much more.

so if you want one; pick up a cheap YJ that isn't toooooo tough/cancered and have fun

Village Dirtbag
    It's slow, cramped, loud, inconvenient, poor handling, crude & uncomfortable, inefficient, and has a very mediocre motor until they put the new pentastar in.

However, it's rugged, simple, very capable off road and is anything but bland.

mtbr member
    Absolute blast to drive and wheel offroad! Nothing better to haul a mountain bike. That being said, they are not very practical. If I had kids, it would be a nightmare to load car seats in the back (mine is a Rubicon that is lifted on 35" tires). I think the pros outweigh the cons though
    I ride faster than I should...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ive got kids...and lifted on 35's...ya just make it work...its a jeep thing they are 7 and 10 now...but pretty soon they wont fit.....then they just wont ride in the Jeep! lol...Im looking at getting a 4 door JK to replace the wifes Xterra....then we will all fit again...but the modification cycle starts all over ......just ....empty.....every......pocket...

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    cons:
    -they're not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination, so if you routinely drive more than 500 miles at a time forget it.
    -you either get a flimsy roof or a leaky plastic tub over your head. the flimsy roof leaks wind, water, air, and ice, but goes down when the sun comes out. the plastic tub requires you and a buddy who hasn't yet had back surgery to remove it and needs someplace to chill when you're going topless (and likely the investment of a soft top when you're doing so). the seals usually tear when you leave it on too long and need replacement.
    -mechanically they're decent, but they're still chryslers
    -automatic tranny is a *****box
    -cheaper models don't have locking diffs or decent axles

pros:
    -the ONLY affordable vehicle with a front live axle (the true sign of a real 4x4).
    -did i say it had a front live axle?
    -demonic off road capabilities (made better with suspension lifts and tire upgrades)
    -open top driving. if you live in a sunny state and it's cool at least part of the year, this more than makes up for any con imaginable. driving in an open vehicle makes you happy.
    -cheap and massive aftermarket parts catalog for anything you can imagine to put on it
    -manual transmission is excellent
    how durable a bike or component is usually has a lot to do with how heavy and ugly it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have an 88' Wrangler that I bought brand new. While it is loud, a little uncomfortable, does'nt get the greatest gas mileage, etc, I realize what it is, argureably the best off road vehicle availible. I have the 4.2 liter, carburated model, the carb sucks and pretty much always has, but the engine/ trans has 220,00 original miles on them and they are still running strong...although my fuel pump just went.
    I dont use it as a daily driver anymore, but I still love my jeep atfter 22 years.
    Im looking into a new 4 door Rubicon, but I think that I'll still keep my old one when I do

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2007 Wrangler Unlimited

I have a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited with a 2.5 coil lift, 255/85 16 mudders and a stubby bumper that gets 17 mpg at 75 mph on the highway. I have 54,000 miles on it and it is my daily driver.

I have driven it on solo trips up to 12 hours one way and last Christmas took it on the family roadtrip (7+ hours one way with 2 adults, 2 kids- 3 and 6 yrs old, a border collie and all of our stuff including gifts for a 10 days on the road).

I love it. I knew what I was getting prior to buying it. It is slow and crude by modern SUV standards but it is a Jeep not a car and it sees ample time off road. Mine has been places that a Murano, Lexus RX and similar would never make it. I had a Disco II that I really liked but had little ***** happen to it that was hard to swallow with a $40k+ vehicle and the nearest dealership was almost two hours away in Denver. Plus, after market accessories for Land Rover are much more expensive than for Jeep.

You are either a Jeep person or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what are the pros and cons of a jeep wrangler?-john-side-view.jpg  

what are the pros and cons of a jeep wrangler?-loaded.jpg  

what are the pros and cons of a jeep wrangler?-smaller-receiver-rack.jpg  

Last edited by BikinCO; 11-06-2010 at 05:26 PM.

mtbr member
    I wish I would have kept mine. If I kept it under 65mph I could get 19-20 mpg on the hwy. It was still comfy and rode pretty good, even with 37" tires.

winter set up

Summer set up

I added a system for the kid and traveling.

mtbr member
    Wranglers are a blast! They are very nimble on the trail and around town and driving with the top down on a sunny day is a fun activity by itself.
    I traded my first one in for a more "civil" SUV and regreted it for 3 years so I bought another one. Now I own it along with a standard mid-sized import sedan. It's a killer combination.
    You can go through everyone's pros and cons (they're all pretty accurate) but the bottom line is, if you think you want one, get one. Worst case scenario you get it out of your system and sell it in a year or two. Best case scenario you fall in love and never look back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    good point...yer either a JEEP person..or yer not!

Ill just leave these here....

this solves the problem of neighbors with back problems

I got more...nah, that'll do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    welllllll maybe a few more...

yeah...thats prolly enough

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    sucks hard to be this dog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=kntr]I wish I would have kept mine. If I kept it under 65mph I could get 19-20 mpg on the hwy. It was still comfy and rode pretty good, even with 37" tires.

I added a system for the kid and traveling.[QUOTE]

I remember you from JK-Forum.com. What did you buy after you sold your JK?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    sucks hard to be this dog

Actually she loves it in her kennel. It may not look like it but there is a lot of room in there for her. She has slept and traveled in it since she was 4 weeks old and is 8 now.

mtbr member
    I remember you from JK-Forum.com. What did you buy after you sold your JK?

Check my Motovan thread. The van is just more practical for what I do. I still have a BUILT 69 bronco for offroad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Check my Motovan thread. The van is just more practical for what I do. I still have a BUILT 69 bronco for offroad.
    Oh, a Loser Cruiser.

I keed, I keed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikinCO
    Oh, a Loser Cruiser.

I keed, I keed.
    Ha, I was just tired of the bikes getting beat to death by rocks and dust while shuttling. Then if the roads were muddy the bikes were covered in mud. Also, I hated that I couldnt lock the bikes inside when traveling. The van works so well I cant believe it. Its got BFGs and AWD so it gets to the top of the mountain... just not as good as the Jeep did.

Tree Crasher
    Cons: there will be no more Jeep if Fiat can't bail out Chrysler.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

Rohloff
    Pro: If you want to drive to the trailhead, and then keep on driving, get a Jeep.

Con: If you want to drive to the trailhead, and then get out and mountain bike, there are better vehicles.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I had a 2004 Rubicon

Pro: you can't hear you wife talking
    Con: no room to haul anything
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop
    Cons: there will be no more Jeep if Fiat can't bail out Chrysler.
    I don't think Jeep will go the way of the Hummer and would likely be bought up by somebody. If you cut out most of the product line there has to be a profit in Wrangler's and Cherokees...or at least I've convinced myself there is.

I driver a 2-door soft top '07 Wrangler X that is stock except for wheel and tire takeoffs from a Rubi.

Pros:
    Great styling
    Subtle design changes over the years keep it looking modern for longer.
    Great off-road capability (although I'll admit I am a poser that really only hit dirt when I'm going to the bike trail)
    Doors and top come off making for a lot of fun in warm weather.
    Backseat is easily removed for quite a bit of storage room inside

Cons:
    Loud at speed
    Poor fuel economy
    Poor on road handling (not an issue for myself as I drive slowly)
    Questionable reliability of JK manual transmisson

I would also note that the power options go each way. I do not have power windows or locks, although many newer Jeeps do. I looked at this as a plus after reading a Yahoo article stating fewer features meant less things to go wrong and ultimately a lower cost of ownership. I will admit I do miss bluetooth.

As a whole I would definitely buy this vehicle again and do not plan on selling it anytime soon.

mtbr member
    gas mileage is the only gripe I have about my 05 rubicon LJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    "Road biking is just as dangerous as mountain biking."

I totally agree, it is the same, it also depends on you on how you handled the situations.

----------
    Madison New York MH89009 Womens Purple
    Last edited by biancaschule; 11-22-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1