What Luxury/Nice Hauler?- Mtbr.com
    Delirious Tuck

What Luxury/Nice Hauler?

I'm stuck... I do Trail Maintenance every other weekend and haul the club's tools, I DH the other weekends, and ride every day in between. I love my FJ cruiser, but I've got a decently big promotion and its getting time for new wheels. Ideally I'd like something a bit more plush interior-wise but still have all the utility...

The options (I think?) are:

-BMW X5 Diesel or Gas (awesome MPGs on D but Gas starts about $4k less and is best in class MPG for V6)
    -F150/Ram/Silverado 1500 with a nice interior (Raptor would be awesome, but horrible gas MPG)
    -VW Toureg (Diesel)
    -Q7 Diesel

Anything I'm missing? Anyone have something they're happy taking clients/boss/colleagues/staff out from Office desk job around during week and then takes same vehicle to marathon bench cutting and rock armoring sessions including tools and muddy volunteers?

WANT: A/C seats
    NEEDS: to be able to hitch up a T2 and maybe eventually haul a club Tool trailer (that'd be awesome).

(food for thought: there's a Cayenne in MA that pulls the Greater Boston NEMBA tool trailer, MPG doesn't fly and out of price range...)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Put an Im paid for sticker on the dash and tell who ever complains about not riding in a Lux veh to suck it!

mtbr member
    Chevrolet Avalanche or Cadillac varient.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wife and I have a 2011 Ram Sport crew cab with hemi. I think it'll do exactly what you want it for. The truck bed is perfect to haul muddy gear. Just spray out at the car wash. A good thing about the Ram is that it has coil springs in the rear giving it a car-like ride. We've hauled hundreds on pounds in the back and the hemi didn't even know there was anything in there. We have the leather interior with heated and A/C in the seats which are gold! We have almost ever option for the Sport model and we absolutely love the truck. We also use a steel flip cover to cover the bed for a bit of security if we have something inside. Oh, also have the RamBox which is AMAZING! The only negative is the gas mileage. 14mpg in the city and 16mpg highway. it's still brand new so we are hoping to get better mileage. but really, hemi and gas mileage doesn't belong in the same sentence unless the word bad is in it

I don't know if I'd compare the interior with a BMW or Q7 but it's not shabby by any means. Oh, a friend has a Toureg and he highly recommends NEVER getting one. The air ride suspension is causing him thousands in repairs.

andy

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Toyota Sequoia!

sam

mtbr member
    So iis your company hiring recent econ grads in Mass?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Caddy CTS V wagon. Hitch rack for the bike and small utility trailer for work days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Mazda CX-7, CX-9, Cadillac SRX, Ford Edge, Chevy Equinox, Lexus RX, Audi Q5, BMW X1 or X3, Mercedes GLK, Acura MDX, ZDX...etc.

another day at the office

ditto for CTS Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Caddy CTS V wagon. Hitch rack for the bike and small utility trailer for work days.
    Lots of power from the 304hp V6. Driving dynamics are way better than what you would expect from a wagon (or sedan). Low 20's overall for mpg. Not great, but that is the price you pay for a high-powered car. And it's easy on the eyes.

Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

another day at the office
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    (food for thought: there's a Cayenne in MA that pulls the Greater Boston NEMBA tool trailer, MPG doesn't fly and out of price range...)
    Lots of choices, but if you really like the new Cayenne, Porsche now has a hybrid version of the Cayenne S.

Affordable luxury comes in the form of a Lincoln MKT with the EcoBoost engine. The EcoBoost V6 has the power and torque of a V8 (355hp/350 lb-ft), which is plenty of grunt to haul your trailer and not suck down gas like a thirsty V8. Lots of attention to detail inside the cabin and it's jammed full of technology to make for a very pleasant ride.
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

Digital Toast
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Touareg

Check out the Development section. Touareg, Q7 and Cayenne are all very similar.

Rohloff
    I'm currently driving a Ford F150 Platinum SuperCrew 4x4. It's plush inside and rugged outside. It's even got air coming through the leather seats. Nice! What I really like is the extremely large rear seating area. It's handy for changing clothes and the seats fold up out of the way leaving a big, flat floor where you can easily fit two bikes or squeeze four bikes in if you need to. Most of the time, my bike rides in truck bed, but it's nice to be able to lock it in the cab on occasion. The ride a little truckish, but the long wheel base smooths out the ride. The only real down side is gas mileage. Ford has an Ecoboost engine which is a V6 turbo that is reported to get V6 gas mileage when driven lightly but gives you V8 horse power when you need it. I'd get the Ecoboost engine if I was buying now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like the Acura MDX for a nice luxury SUV that is reliable. Lexus also has the GX and LX SUVs that have great off road ability with luxury. I am not sure how well Infiniti SUVs are as I think they look ugly the cars are fun though. Luxury and good mpg for SUVs are still not great, but will get better in future models.
    EE that enjoys mountain biking, currently riding a 2011 Remedy 9.8 stock :)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nissan Armada all the way! Heated leather seats, tons of leg room.

mtbr member
    How about a Subaru Outback Limited? 3.6L engine with great power, AWD, awesome safety, nice interiors, heated seats and stuff that impress your buds, etc. Get the rubber cargo mat and a net for the rear and you have plenty of space for muddy stuff that can be hosed out. You can go pretty much anywhere (within reason) with that car, they handle great and are comfortable.
    :wq

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    How about a Subaru Outback Limited? 3.6L engine with great power, AWD, awesome safety, nice interiors, heated seats and stuff that impress your buds, etc. Get the rubber cargo mat and a net for the rear and you have plenty of space for muddy stuff that can be hosed out. You can go pretty much anywhere (within reason) with that car, they handle great and are comfortable.
    x2

You forgot to mention that it will tow 2700-3000 lbs too. If you are an IMBA member, you can get one for 3% below invoice...true no haggling.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member
    VW Touareg V10 TDI

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My other hobby is HPDEs/DEs/Track-days etc. Some friends that tow their car to the track recently purchased a Q7 TDI. They get an honest 28mpg, or better, during day-to-day driving and 17-19 towing 4500lbs. The VW Touareg has recently been updated for better on-road manners, simplicity(read: reliability), and lower fuel consumption. I've checked them out, the seats are fantastic and the interior feels like a tall, cushier version of our GTI. Obviously, the vehicles are very similar and each has its own advantages over the other.

Delirious Tuck
    V10 TDI???? I haven't seen that yet.

The Q7 is a good call, I used to drive an A6 and loved the vehicle, and a tried and true 28mpg is very respectable. As I think it through, maybe I just keep the ol' FJ Cruiser cause its awesome and has BFG ATs, and get a sportier ride on low mile lease for commuting/business duties.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul350r View Post
    Put an Im paid for sticker on the dash and tell who ever complains about not riding in a Lux veh to suck it!

i drive a decent paid for car that is well maintaned, and just laugh at everyone at work buying new cars so they can feel important. if anyone ever complains i tell them they are more than welcome to buy me a new car, but there is no way i'm making a car payment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    just my $.02, take it for what it is, i could care less what other people think of me, i enjoy my car, but enjoy my bikes even more

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was in the same boat a while ago. Stay away from the Cayenne. I have a 911 and was seriously considering one of these too, but waaaay to many issues from EVERYONE I talked to.

The Escalade is nice, but I just don't fit with the crowd that rolls in these.

I considered a Land Rover, but I had a several friends dealing with PITA issues and Land Rover charges more $$ per hour for their mechanic than my friend's mechanic does for his jets. CRAZY!!!

I didn't like the exterior of the Sequoia, but it's a good vehicle.

I went went with a GMC Yukon Denali (Basically a Chevy Tahoe or an Escalade minus the bling). If you need something larger, I would get the XL or the Suburban. Functional, nice lines, not over the top, can roll to the trail with my family and bikes, load it with guns and ammo for 3 Gun Matches, drive it to work every day.

I've had it 3 years and I'd buy it again. If you don't need something this size, then there are lots of other options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why not simply purchase a second vehicle? Personally, I think that a work truck (as in hauling gear and tools and getting dirty) and a luxury vehicle are mutually exclusive. You'll be crying the first time it gets some pinstriping from overhanging branches or trail damage. Better to have a vehicle for each purpose... one that you can use hard and put away wet, and one that you only drive on the street.

For example:

My trail rig (used for skiing, camping, hunting, fishing, towing, hauling, and yes, mountain biking):

My other vehicles for driving to work, road trips, dinner parties, shopping, wifey to drive around, ect:

1991 Mercedes 300E (still in pristine condition, saving it or my daughter):

1998 Audi A6 (just sold it last week actually, sorry to see it go):

2006 BMW 525i:

"2 Wycked"
    Chevrolet tahoe LTZ. Its got all the bells and whistles and a dvd player to keep the little bastards quiet on long trips.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

Delirious Tuck
    I like the second car idea. Maybe S4 or Jag XF.

mtbr member
    I'm happy with my FJ. Stick with the FJ for the off-road and dirty work. And buy something plush, for when you need plush. Here's mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I love my BMW X3 for heading to the trails. 26mpg and can haul a load of stuff!

Members who have read this thread: 2