What do you veteran bike haulers think of this unit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

What do you veteran bike haulers think of this unit?

Hiya everyone. Thanks for taking a look at this thread.

I did a quick search on the topic of trailers, but did not find any threads from anyone who used one extensively so I thought I would ask specifically. My apologies if I've missed something and my thread is redundant.

Now that the family and I are travelling with 4 bikes, I'm not digging the hitch mounted rack much anymore. After this past summers travels I've decided that we need to look at something different. For our 2 weeks of riding in different mountain ranges in AB and BC, we had our 4 bikes, 6 helmets, 4 camelbacks, another pack, tools, replacement parts, armour and other riding clothes/gear. And then some luggage, snacks, etc.

I put the bike stuff into 2 XL rubbermaid tubs, but they have a pretty big footprint in the back....and rubbermaid doesn't breathe so stuff put away wet can turn a bit stinky after a while....

Needless to say it was a little cramped (and smelly) in the vehicle and I came home looking for a different option. I thought maybe a roof rack, but that doesn't solve the problem of all the gear inside the tubs inside the vehicle.

And then I saw the unit in the pictures attached....a bike trailer with plenty of lockable storage underneath the bikes! I thought it is about perfect....although a little pricey for me at this time.....

(((note here....these are 'borrowed' from another forum to help me explain what I'm looking at building. If this is a violation of forum policy, please let me know and I'll edit them out of my post)))

Cheap utility trailers are a dime a dozen around here ($100 - $500CDN), and I'd just need to fabricate the storage and the rack on an existing frame. Now I'm pretty handy, but no welder, so I showed the plans to my father in law, an engineer who happens to be a master welder, and he's game for putting one together this fall/winter. In fact, he was all over it and had my rough plans corrected/modified within 30 minutes of thinking about it.

Before jumping in to it though, I thought I'd better see if any veteran haulers had any feedback on the design and/or the concept. Is this a good idea? A bad idea? Do you see anything that should be modified? You know, that sort of thing....

Any and all opinions will be welcomed (unless they disagree with mine)!

Cheers

eman

(((edited to use different pictures)))
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A buddy of mine has a little utility trailer that he has mounted 2 hitch racks to faceing left and right and can carry 6 or 8 bikes and has luggage storage under bikes,but the thing just makes me nervous to carry my bike on as it looks top heavy.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I think it's an excellent idea. The one pictured would be too specialized for me though. If I were to own such a thing it would need to be useful for other things, like hauling furniture, mulch, etc... If you can think of other things you might need a trailer for you might want to make sure it isn't excluded by whatever design you come up with.

Sounds like a fun project. Make sure you post an update when it's finished!
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    May 2007

a few comments so far.....

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. To discuss some points brought up so far:

ONE - I was initially worried about this design being a bit top heavy too, but got to thinking....if the frame and lower sides are built with steel, that should provide nice counter balance to the bikes on top. And if not, I should be able to add weight to the bottom easily enough.

TWO - It is pretty specialized, I agree. I don't necessarily have room in my budget for a bike-only hauler, so I was thinking of making the lid removeable, or at least the bike rack portion. If I could lift the bike rack off and remove the hinge pins and lift the lid off too then I would have a nice little general-purpose utility cart. I can rationalize the cost for that easily enough....but I'm thinking I'm going to need to hinge the end gate of it though....which should be easy enough to do and still keep it lockable.

I don't know that I necessarily want the front to be enclosed like that though....it might be easier to do without that part, but we'll see what my master craftsman Father-in-Law has to add to the the project. By the time he is done planning we might be sleeping in the thing! He likes to think big!

I'll definitely keep you all posted when I get going on it this fall.

Thanks again for the replies...the more comments made the better the end design should be!!!

Cheers

eman

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Would love to see it with some bikes on it.

mtbr member
    I have converted an old jetski trailer to haul my bikes and atuff. I installed a Thule roof rack on it using artificial gutters. I can mount a couple of bikes and a roof box on it. There is also room in the front of the trailer for a large cargo type box plus 6 or so bike on the rack. The trailer was free from my neighbour (he bought a larger one) and the rack and gutters were another $200 CDN. With my set up, I can remove the racks and install a cargo box when needed.

Woohooo! Moderator
    I would try to make it a little lower overall. The higher you stick up above your (truck, suv, whatever), the worse mileage you will get--if you can keep it the same height or less, you will burn less gas.

Regardless, it's a good idea and I would enjoy seeing pictures of the completed version.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks 01Forester

That is the kind of thing I have in mind 01Forester....I'd love to see some pictures of it.....

cheers

eman

mtbr member
    I will try to post pics but its all disassembled right now - bought another trailer than I am "porting" parts over.

Members who have read this thread: 0