What car/wagon/suv can fit 2 bikes standing with front wheels off?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What car/wagon/suv can fit 2 bikes standing with front wheels off?

I'm thinking of getting a new car to replace my ailing Civic. I like the looks of the Subaru Outback/Legacy GT/Forester, the Nissan XTerra, Ford Escape, Honda Pilot.

I'd hate to get a gas guzzler, but I really need something that is just as reliable as a Civic but more powerful. I'd really like to get something that would allow me to carry 2 bikes inside upright and attached to QR clamps with front wheels off and no need to fuss with seat posts.

I may end up getting a roof rack anyway, but would like the option of carrying the bikes inside as well.

Any of you guys drive any of these? Got any pics of the bikes inside? How do you like you ride? Enough power? Reliable? Guzzler?

Thanks for the help in advance!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    get a suby!!! and a roof rack.. then you can rally up to your DH spots

the cool nerd
    an Element can fit 2-5 bikes with the front wheels still on, and get decent fuel efficiency....
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any Caravan type vehicle with the back seats removed. You can leave the wheels on if you like too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well if you are willing to tone down your need for POWER a bit, then the CRV meets all your other needs. I stash my two bikes standing inside with front wheels off and I even have room for another adult in the back. I also have a roof rack that I put on when we do a long camping trip or we have 3 adults AND 3 bikes. The CRV has the same reliability of your current Civic and it is really good on gas milleage. Compared to the ones you listed, it is definitely better than the Pilot, Escape, Xterrra and even the Subarus. There is also the RAV4 that is pretty good but storage inside is more crouded and if you endup with the 2006 V6 then you go up into guzzler country.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jeebus
    I'm thinking of getting a new car to replace my ailing Civic. I like the looks of the Subaru Outback/Legacy GT/Forester, the Nissan XTerra, Ford Escape, Honda Pilot.

I'd hate to get a gas guzzler, but I really need something that is just as reliable as a Civic but more powerful. I'd really like to get something that would allow me to carry 2 bikes inside upright and attached to QR clamps with front wheels off and no need to fuss with seat posts.

I may end up getting a roof rack anyway, but would like the option of carrying the bikes inside as well.

Any of you guys drive any of these? Got any pics of the bikes inside? How do you like you ride? Enough power? Reliable? Guzzler?

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    I second the vote for the CRV. I have fit 3 bikes and 3 adults in mine for day trips. If you added camping gear, something would have to go outside. My '02 gets around 25 mpg mixed town and highway driving.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    I went looking for exactly the same thing--bought a used Toyota RAV-4. It's reliable, good crash test ratings, sporty to drive (very car-like) and the key advantages over the CRV (Honda's similar model and my other main choice) is that the rear seats are easy to remove, which gives you room for two bike (maybe more!), and the rear hatch opening is taller, so it's easier to get the bikes in and out with the wheels on. Yes, I can actually get two bikes in there upright with both wheels on! I just use tie downs to keep them from rocking around.

I like the 2001-2005 design better--it's a foot or so shorter than the new one (easily fits in my garage) and the two/front wheel drive model gets pretty decent mileage--mid 20's combined...I think the EPA rating is 24-28.

I drove the Honda Element and it's a lot noisier on the highway and gets way worse mileage--that boxey profile just ain't efficient. Lot's of wind noise and a nervous feel in crosswinds. And, honestly, it's a pretty unique looking thing--I didn't care for it much, personally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    an Element can fit 2-5 bikes with the front wheels still on, and get decent fuel efficiency....
    FYI: My Bro's Element does not have the rear seating that their Forester does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeebus

I think most true wagons will work. Our Volvo turbo did, our 4Runner works, and nothing beats a minivan. Some wagons are short between seat and tail gate and will not work if you want passengers in the back seat. Many people cringe at the thought, but our minivan is amazing when one considers the power and space relative to fuel economy and it has had second to none quality. Minivan allows passengers and bikes to all travel inside. It's also sort of stealth in a nice way.

pronounced may-duh
    Just about anything with a roof rack would do it. If you want them inside I suggest a minivan. The minivan may not be cool but those who have one know they are the most utility on wheels. If gas mileage is a concern than go with a small sedan or hatchback with a roof rack. Like a civic. Want a bit more power than get an accord or camry or altima etc...

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    I have an 05 Xterra and it works great! I put together a cheap and easy rack in the back with yakima blockheads and I have no complaints. Gets pretty decent gas mileage and has a ton of power for a v6. Good luck.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I've got an outback and there's no way an adult bike can be upright in the back. It'd have to be flat. Don't have the measurement but I think the floor to hatch doorway height is about 30".
    I just use the roof rack. Great car though
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member

06' Legacy Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by wg
    I've got an outback and there's no way an adult bike can be upright in the back. It'd have to be flat. Don't have the measurement but I think the floor to hatch doorway height is about 30".
    I just use the roof rack. Great car though
    Currently have an 06' Legacy wagon with 172 HP four cylinder engine. Haven't installed the roof rack yet, but you won't get bikes in standing up. There are only a few vehicles out there that will enable you to do that. That said, the gas mileage is great, power very adequate, and it handles nicely too. Doesn't feel like a wagon, or a dreaded minivan. While functional yes, don't cave in to that...

Village Dirtbag
    I've had my eye on a Legacy wagon for a looonnnggg time. However, recently I've been considering a minvan. They get similar mileage as a Legacy, but have WAY more room. Also very stealth- I don't imagine a minivan would draw as much attention as a turbo-wagon. Plus, it'd be great for camping because you can sleep inside and/or haul more gear. A perfect road-trip vehicle! Basically, the only thing you're giving up is style and a little handeling prowess. If I were buying new, I'd look at Toyota and Honda. If used, I'd also consider the extended length Chrysler vans 'cause you can get 'em cheap. The Ford Freestyle quasi wagon/van/SUV thingy may also meet your criteria, althoug I don't know much about them.

pronounced may-duh
    My wife drives a Chrysler town and country (its a high end version of the dodge grand caravan, leather, power everything, etc...). With the seats stowed you can lay 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back and close the door.

For camping it's the bomb. I took it to a North Carolina mtbr gathering and slept on an air mattress in the back. We take it car camping with the family and have enough room for the kids to sit and all our gear in the back. Nothing outside on the roof, trailer, etc...

Ours has a huge 3.8L V6 so fuel economy is not so good but the Dodge versions have smaller engines and get better mileage.

gimme friction
    Toyota Matrix can take two bikes, but the back seat needs to fold down, and the bike seats either need to be lowered or removed entirely.

The Matrix also has rails mounted in the floor surface of the rear hatch area, which accept fork mounts. Kinda handy.

Nobody has mentioned hitch racks, but I think a hitch rack would be better than a roof rack. Better mileage, and bikes are easier to get on and off.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Silence! I kill you!
    I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee that we can fit 3 bikes, 3 peoples gear, and 3 people comfortably all inside the jeep. All we have to do is take the front wheels off, and lower the seats (On the bikes, as well as one 1/2 of the rear seats) and we're all set.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And, it's based on the Civic. Just bought a used one. One of my requirements was three people and three bikes (standing up, bikes, not people) inside. The Element was the only vehicle that could deliver and still get over 20mpg and had AWD (winters in Wisconsin, dontcha' know).

mtbr member

Not the 2006 Outback

I just tried fitting my xc hardtail inside just to see if it could be done. No way! You can not even put one 17" hardtail with a SID and no front tire upright in the back of the Legacy Outback with the rear seats folded flat. Even the 25" wide bars hit the roof and the seat was not going to go in unless it was lowered so this car does not meet your requirements.

That said, I can easily fit two bikes if I remove the front wheels and lay them on their side. It is even easier if I remove the pedals which I would do for a long trip where I wanted extra storage. Usually I just use the roof rack but I can see putting bikes inside for security.

I don't know what these people are talking about saying that their vehicle will meet your requirements. You did say you did not want the seat dropped and you wanted two bikes upright on some type of quick release fork mount. Anything that large is going to be a real pig on gas. I can't see anything short of an Excursion or mini van that will work. The CR-V is not as wide as the Subaru so I don't see that working.

I think people are taking liberties with your request.

mtbr member
    check out the Ford Freestyle as well, it might better suit your needs
    Those who know can not explain, Those who don't can not understand

Smith & Wesson, The original point and click user interface

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Any Caravan type vehicle with the back seats removed. You can leave the wheels on if you like too.
    Esp if you go Grand Caravan, no need to ever take the seats out..Flip em All down. Flat. Gone. Not flip forward.. I heard a rumour a version of Stow-n-Go would filter down to the smaller Caravan in 2007....My GC does almost 18mpg overall..And I drive too fast
    Tony

rebmem rbtm
    just dont get a dodge ram, my grandpa got a dodge ram v8 hemi and it gets around 10-12 mpg. worst purchase in history, i dont get why he doesnt sell it. it sounds and looks cool though.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    Well if you are willing to tone down your need for POWER a bit, then the CRV meets all your other needs. I stash my two bikes standing inside with front wheels off and I even have room for another adult in the back. I also have a roof rack that I put on when we do a long camping trip or we have 3 adults AND 3 bikes. The CRV has the same reliability of your current Civic and it is really good on gas milleage. Compared to the ones you listed, it is definitely better than the Pilot, Escape, Xterrra and even the Subarus. There is also the RAV4 that is pretty good but storage inside is more crouded and if you endup with the 2006 V6 then you go up into guzzler country.

Hope this helps.
    I love my CR-V for all things bike related. You can fit two bikes upright inside with the front wheels removed. However, the real deal for me is a spare tire rack on the swinging gate. This is, in my opinion, the best possible bike carrying solution.

Glad to Be Alive
    inside standing up ain't going to work.......get a hitch rack
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    another subaru outback! a true outdoorsman car....I have 2.5 172hp auto AWD and with bike rack on top get ~31mpg. I think that is excellent. I take it everywhere. It is great in snow with limited slip differential impossible to get stuck...I have loaded 2 bikes in the back by laying them on side. But after ONE muddy ride I got a roof rack, and it is not too high of a roof so its easy to put bikes on top....I dont get how people use roof racks on tall SUV's? You need a ladder! And before flaming starts I am 6'2"...............

Members who have read this thread: 1