Weight limit on 4Runner roof- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Weight limit on 4Runner roof

Has anyone put more than 100lbs. on a 2nd gen. 4Runner's factory rack? I just bought the Yakima Roadwarrior and two Viper racks for my '99 4Runner. Yakima rates my rack capacity at 100lbs (eventhough Toyota puts a tag on the crossbar that states max weight 165lbs). With my two bikes up there, I'm pretty much right there, if not a few pounds over. Is Yakima being real conservative, or has anyone experienced bad things over the 100lb limit (though under the 165lb limit) ? Going to Tahoe this Saturday, so I really appreciate any input.
    R

mtbr member
    Hi, I have an '03 4runner, and I have hauled 4 bikes on occasion to moab and such. The only way I can get all the bikes up there though is to actually climb up on top of the roof on the rack. Never had any problems with it. I have the yakima with the lowriders that attach to the factory rack. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    If your referring to your 99 its a 3rd gen and should be fine. I have a 98 and between three bikes and gear I would say we were closer to 200lb w/ no issue's. I have taken my roof rack off as well and it seems the cross bars are stiff enough.

edit: disregard. I didnt think about the bikes being on the bike rack.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    Hi, I have an '03 4runner, and I have hauled 4 bikes on occasion to moab and such. The only way I can get all the bikes up there though is to actually climb up on top of the roof on the rack. Never had any problems with it. I have the yakima with the lowriders that attach to the factory rack. Hope this helps!
    Is your '03 the new body style? If so, those roof racks are rated a little higher from what I was told. Are you mounting to the factory crossbars? BTW, what are Yakima Lowriders?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by j944
    If your referring to your 99 its a 3rd gen and should be fine. I have a 98 and between three bikes and gear I would say we were closer to 200lb w/ no issue's. I have taken my roof rack off as well and it seems the cross bars are stiff enough.

edit: disregard. I didnt think about the bikes being on the bike rack.

Good luck.
    Are you mounting your three bikes and gear to the factory crossbars via a roof basket/bike racks? I guess I'm wondering if the factory Toyota cross bars can handle the torque and weight of the Roadwarrior basket, two bikes (mounted on Yak Vipers) and some gear. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0