We travel with a variety of bike types... current rack isn't idea. Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

We travel with a variety of bike types... current rack isn't idea. Suggestions?

Hi,

Right now I have a similar rack to this Thule*-*9029 Vertex 4 Bike. Ours is Thule also, just 1 year older version/model. It came with our new Outback.

It advertises it will hold 4 bikes, but I suspect they must mean 4 road bikes. Handlebars very quickly get engangled with each other.

My medium Spec Rockhopper fits mostly fine, however my wifes small hardrock (same frame shape as rockhopper, just smalller) however does not fit well. I have to put one rack arm thru the seattube/toptube/bottomtube triangle and one thru the seat/chainstay/seatstay.

On top of that we often huck my daughters trail-a-bike onto the rack as well. We CAN jimmy all of this on, but once we start putting my son's tiny bike on, its gonna get hairy.

Eventually I'll have a full suspension bike which I know isn't going to like the current rack

Anyone have good suggestions?

The only immediate one I came up with was that eventuaally i'll have to augment the setup with roof cariers as well for the adult bikes and put the kiddie bikes on the back rack or something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Take a look at the 1-Up. It'll fit from my 29er down to my son's 16 inch (16er?) bike with ease. With a 2inch receiver, I've seen them carry up to four bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Those are beautiful. Big money,but beautiful.

Members who have read this thread: 0