wagon woes(pics please)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

wagon woes(pics please)

mazdaspeed3 vs wrx wagon

i know these have been suggested and had pics posted in this forum before but not together (at least none that i found)

i would like to see this wagons loaded up for a fun weekend

and hear what you guys think about each one

which one has more interior space both cagro and for driver (im 6'3")

leaning more towards wrx because of the awd we get a lot of snow around these parts, but damn that ms3 is sexy
    do not fear going forward slowly, fear only to stand still

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a Speed3 and use a Northshore Rack. The way it sits allows me to still open the trunk when loaded. Haven't had any problems with snow (I run snow tires in winter). I am headed out this weekend and will try to get pics.

mtbr member
    that would be great....since i posted this i am starting to lean more towards the mazda

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a real station wagon... a Passat wagon... oddly enough, don't have pics of it with my mtb on it. I have one with 2 road bikes up top, a road bike inside & a cargo box up top.

mtbr member
    I seriously was considering both the MS3 and the WRX hatch. To me it came to the WRX being more $ but it was so much nicer and more spacious (I'm 6'6") it would have been worth it. MS3 felt cheap and plastic to me while the WRX was much more solid. Also I found the Subaru dealer in my area was much nicer to deal with than Mazda. Only problem is that Subaru inventory was pretty much non-existent due to the earthquake and I would have been on waiting list for who knows how long.

That said, the MS3 was quite a bit faster! Lots of torque steer but a real rocket ship.

I ended up with a Kia Sportage with 260hp 4 cylinder. It actually gets better mpg than the Subaru or Mazda and only requires 87 octane

Hi.
    The new WRX is faster than the Mazdaspeed 3. Combine that with an almost equal fuel economy, and the WRX has AWD...I'd go with the WRX.

Make sure you sit in each car - I have a Mazda 3 and my seat is almost all the way back (and I'm only 5'10".)

Francis did a really good review of the 2011 WRX here. Really awesome car for the money:

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...rx-665976.html

mtbr member
    i have driven both off these cars since i posted this (local carmax had both so figure best time to compare side by side however i want to buy new) but i like the WRX better after getting inside them altho the MS3 with all that torque is a little monster....besides with the IMBA discount (if they still have it) and the $125 subaru gives to IMBA its a pretty easy choice

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm 6'-4" and I sat in a WRX and it felt great. Then I Stuck my friend in the rear seat who is also 6'-4" we where both surprised at how comfortable it was back there even with the front seat pretty far back. More importantly there would be plenty of room for car seats and booster seats for the offspring. I don't know how often you carry passengers or if you are a family man using child seats it might be something to consider.
    Cost and fuel mileage was a factor for me so I went a different route in the end. But My vote would be the WRX.

mtbr member
    thanks glenn for the info the back seat looked roomy but i didnt try it and didnt have a friend with me, i want something to take some camping gear and a buddy or two and it looks capable....MPG isnt a factor for me im coming from a jeep that got 13mpg/hwy on a recent trip so almost anything is better, plus a few of the real world test ive read and watched claim around 25 combined which is plenty for me

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    forester xt
    basically a bigger wrx. EVERYTHING impreza bolts up to foresters. turbo, IC, brembos, 6 speed!!!! way more cargo room, huge sunroof, total sleeper.

mtbr member
    yea i really like the forester xts...only two problems 1) i only like the older models like 07ish and i would like to buy new and 2) if i get one i will want to start with struts and coils and so on and ill be right back to where i am now, with a modified vehicle that is not pleasant to daily drive...plus i cant find a decent XT with manual trans around here
    Last edited by thestig_wj; 11-03-2011 at 06:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thestig_wj View Post
    2) if i get one i will want to start with springs and coils and so on and ill be right back to where i am now, with a modified vehicle that is not pleasant to daily drive...
    I hear that! I think that might happen with any car. I had a banks exhaust on my Ram, It sounded pimp but got a little anoying leaving for work 5am everyday. Fast forward to my new sportwagon and I'm looking for an exhaust for after a couple of weeks. Sometimes I even load the shopping cart with coilovers and swaybars.

mtbr member
    Yea I always get myself in trouble with that stuff, done it with all my vehicles in some way or another, in fact sometimes the price of aftermarket parts is part of the reason I buy or don't buy a vehicle, my cars are a close second to MTB

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    thats bigger than you would think

ballbuster

And...

thats bigger than you would think
    Passat is a lot more $$$ than the other candidates. Sweet wagon, tho! Jetta Sportwagen I think is closer but still above the Mazda3 and others.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn a View Post
    I hear that! I think that might happen with any car. I had a banks exhaust on my Ram, It sounded pimp but got a little anoying leaving for work 5am everyday. Fast forward to my new sportwagon and I'm looking for an exhaust for after a couple of weeks. Sometimes I even load the shopping cart with coilovers and swaybars.
    And VW/Audi stock exhaust is really good.

Not much to be gained there in power, unless you are doing K04 or Garret Big Turbo upgrades, or anything that bumps the engine output more than 50hp over stock.

But yeah, the latest VWs are riding pretty soft, but still better than most other mfgs. My A4 has the factory sport package, and it is a big improvement over my wife's Avant stock non-sport suspension. When I looked into it, the aftermarket springs and coilover kits wanna dump my car 2" or more... too much for me. I wouldn't mind shaving it down an inch, but really I'm happy with the factory suspension.

mtbr member
    May 2007

This is from out in Colorado on a return trip. Wagon served as a support vehicle on a cross-country bike ride for 2 riders, the driver, and our dog, plus all the gear.

Another picture:

This is from a trip to North Fork Mountain back in July. The wagon served to carry 4 adults, a baby, and 2 dogs. Bikes on the back, gear on the roof. Even got some off-roading in, fully loaded.

Love our Subaru.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    thats awsome glad to see they can carry everything i want to throw at it and then some....thanks for the pics

mtbr member
    btw i love that first shot and that dog is awesome

Hi.
    btw i love that first shot and that dog is awesome
    No kidding. Straight out of a Subaru magazine ad.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Well, here's a few more...

Thanks for the compliments! Here's some more with the car and our dog, Sebastian. He's about as awesome as they come..and he loves singletrack as much as I do.

These were taken somewhere by my wife in the Big Horn Mountains, crossing into Wyoming.

Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    My wife and I had a 2010 Mazda 3 (not the speed) and it was a great car unless it snowed. It was terrible in the snow. Snow tires barely helped. What made it a great handling car the rest of the year, made it a pain to drive in the snow. Any driver input seemed amplified. Needless to say, she wrecked it. Granted, she's not a great driver, but her confidence was gone and I feared for her safety because of it. If we had to do it over again, we'd get the Subaru. AWD and the handling are much better for her.

mtbr member
    thanks for the photos looks like you really put the wagon to good use makes me want to load up and go camping

scott that is why i will be going with the subaru (as soon as i get to the 6 months of IMBA membership for the discount) i really like the AWD