Vw Rack Help

Printable View

• 01-28-2010
    SnootchieBootchies
    Vw Rack Help
    ive been considering getting a bike rack for my 06 rabbit and needed some suggestions. should i go for a roof mount or should i get the 1 an 1/4 inch tow hitch and look for a hitch rack. the only problems i can foresee with a roof rack is that me and my friends have 4 bikes between us and the only rack i can think of fitting that many bikes on is a hitch rack. Thanks for any advice given.
  • 01-28-2010
    wheelerfreak
    I had a roof rack on our VW for years and just recently went with a Thule T2 hitch rack. The hitch rack is much easier to load, especially for my wife. It also doesn't affect your mileage when not in use like a roof rack does. The one thing I did was to change the 1.25" receiver tube on the hitch to a more common 2" tube. I just cut off the old tube and welded in the 2", about 30 min of work. I prefer the 2" because it seems more common and I already had a few other accessories for that size.
  • 01-28-2010
    SnootchieBootchies
    got it. thanks bro
  • 01-29-2010
    Caffeine Powered
    I've got an 06 Jetta with two rack options. The primary is a Thule on the roof. The 50" load bar will hold 4 bikes easily with their front wheels off. I could put a longer load bar on and carry more bike or use carriers that don't require me to remove the front wheel.

I also have a Saris Bones 3 rack. It carries 2 bikes well, but 3 are a PITA to fit.

We have a 2" receiver hitch rack on our 4Runner which easily carries 3 bikes. I like having the more aero placement of the bikes.

I'd get a 2" receiver on the Jetta, but I have enough racks as it is.
  • 01-29-2010
    SnootchieBootchies
    sweet setup man and nice jetta! thanks
  • 01-29-2010
    A1an
    You aren't going to be able to fit more than a two bike hitch rack on that car. Those 4-bike hitch mount racks require the larger reciever hitch that most likely is not available for the Rabbit (no one makes one for my Passat wagon...guess it is hard to find the large recievers for a FWD car). You could fit four bikes on the roof but you need to be careful you don't exceed the weight limit.

Here is our '07 Rabbit:

• 01-29-2010
    Eric Z
    i had this one and was pleased. mine was on a hyundai elantra with a 1.25" hitch receiver. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._400007_400170

some aren't fans of hanging your bikes by the top bar- i had the adaptor top bar thing since it made the bikes more level. 4 bikes is a very tight fit- 3 is what i think would be comfortable with.

i ended up trading it in for the 2-bike tray style rack. i think the hanging style was fine and never had concerns, but preferred the tray style.
  • 01-30-2010
    SnootchieBootchies
    i might go for a roof rack im not completely sure. if i did id probably go for the kind where i didnt have to take off the front wheel of the bike but im not sure. thanks for everyones input.
  • 01-30-2010
    wilks
    I have posted this a bajillion times - GLI with Performance Bike Xport Rack. Still going strong 2.5 yrs later.

• 01-30-2010
    Caffeine Powered
    FYI... "a bajillion" while being a made up quantity should be more than 1,500. Just sayin'
  • 02-03-2010
    sime
    we have a mark 4 golf, with a thule roof rack. i've got 3 trays on it, all fork mount; and the wheel carriers. just alternating the direction the bikes face. we also have the shortest load bars for it. with longer bars 4 is easily possible, especially if you did 2 fork mount, 2 with the the bikes intact. and the wheel carriers could be mounted on the outside of the towers. one warning though, even with the shortest bars.....i've hit my head a few times after putting something in the back seat.........

and of course putting a bike on the middle tray is a bit of a pain; doable, and really not HARD, just can be a pain. make sure it's not some 50lbs monster.

we have a saris hitch rack for our jeep; but it only holds 3.......it is easier to load, but i'm always more worried about them back there......between exhaust gasses being too hot and blowing a tire, or just someone hitting them, i dunno, maybe i'm paranoid. granted roof racks are far from foolproof either! luckily we don't have a garage