VW Rabbit owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

VW Rabbit owners

has anyone put a hitch on a new VW Rabbit 07-08.

I'm considering trading in my golf for a Rabbit. However I checked etrailer.com for hitches and found a 1000lb Curt hitch.

The problem is it states "bumper facia trimming required" just wondering if anyone has installed a hitch on a rabbit and if so, how much "trimming" was required.

thanks

gordy

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

hey.

i just got my 07 rabbit at halloween (found a left over with all the options for cheap)
    and researched this idea to death...

at first i wanted to get a hitch and found a couple of people who actually had them installed.
    i think it was a hidden hitch that you didnt have to cut your bumper...but 3 problems occured to me....

1. no hitch shop in south florida would install it on my specific rabbit bc the specs are listed for the two door and i have the four. (but its the same under carrage and does work)

2. Im a big wuss and didnt want to install it my self.

3. from what ive seen you can only fit a bike on the outside rack if you get a T2. doesnt seem to be enough space....

i found a cheap price on the oem roof bars and got a set of the thule sidearms....
    which confuse the hell out of me and thule... im wishing I had purchased the vw barracuda carriers instead....

but anyway theres my two dollars..... check out the mkv sites like golfmkv.com or vwvortex.com for pics and more vw specific suggestions....later....

mtbr member
    thanks. I took a look and saw the pictures of the Curt on the Rabbit. Not going to do that. Couldnt bring myself to cut the bumper on a new car.

plus if the T2 doesnt work, it would be pointless anyway.

take a looks at the yakima highroller for a roof mount. it fold down and looks nice and clean.

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=98

thanks again

Members who have read this thread: 0