VW GTi 5 door for Mountain Bikers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

VW GTi 5 door for Mountain Bikers?

Any of you guys driving a newer 5 door GTi as a daily driver/bike hauler? I've got a '11 Jetta wagon and it's got ample room for gear and bikes on the roof. I'd like something a bit more lively so I've got my eye on a '15 GTi 5 door (6 speed manual of course) and I'm a bit concerned about space.

Is the 5 door GTi enough room? Its substantially shorter than a typical small wagon but I am willing to sacrifice that for the fun to drive factor. I do frequent road trips for riding so I need space for gear (bikes will go on the roof) and maybe an extra person. Thanks for the input.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have both... A MKVI Jetta variant and 5-door Golf in TDI trim... The 5-door has plenty of room for what you need... I use it as my daily, baby transport, and bike carrier with custom hitch using a euro Westfalia valence... The Jetta is my wife's daily, and our weekend hauler... The MKVII GTI is slightly bigger, so that should help... With the bikes on the roof, no brainier... FWIW, the Jetta variant TDI spools up faster with its lower DSG gearing... Lots of fun! Feels faster than my chipped TDI... The GTI excels at hwy speeds, but the TDI torque is a blast to drive...

mtbr member
    I have a MKVI GTI. Plenty of room for me and my fiancee to throw everything I need for a race in the car (and a dog or two) and head out for the weekend. I think you'd be fine. Also, she had a TDI Jetta a couple years ago and it did drive nice with the DSG... but not as nice as the manual in the GTI.