vw camper-who has one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

vw camper-who has one?

This is mine a 02 weekender:

ballbuster

Nice!

THey don't really do the AWD ones like the Vanagon Syncro, do they?

I just came across these:

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cZjfV9S5kcQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OD842-F_ARE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

THis guy took a Jetta 1.8 turbo engine out of a newer car and bolted it in his Vanagon, and had the tranny done with custom gear ratios. He says it actually gets better mileage with the 1.8t and its way faster.

I keep thinking about how cool it would be to have one. For myself, I just can't see spending $15k on a used vehicle that would get used 4 times a year at most.

I do dream of one, tho. Man, that would be fun. Too bad the Vanagons never came with ABS and Airbags, and too bad the Eurovan never came in AWD... or did it? Seems to me that they have 4motion for the Passat, which is not too dissimilar. I guess that is why they have the Tourag, but it isn't really a camper.

beer thief
    I have an '84 Westy, but am in the process of replacing it with an '02 Weekender. Love 'em.

Syncros are way too valuable to beat on them like in those videos. Now, if you had to do that to get to a riding area it would be another story...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Syncros are way too valuable to beat on them like in those videos.
    LOL. Why have a 4x4 Westy if you can't use it? That's like owning a Lamborghini, but leaving it parked because it's too pretty.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    '01 Weekender here. Got it new and still love it!

ballbuster

Nah, they can take it!

Quote Originally Posted by radair
    I have an '84 Westy, but am in the process of replacing it with an '02 Weekender. Love 'em.

Syncros are way too valuable to beat on them like in those videos. Now, if you had to do that to get to a riding area it would be another story...
    The AWD system was designed by a couple of guys who were into the whole Dakar thing. They wanted a minivan that could handle some real outback kinda stuff... like in Africa. Speaking of which, they only stopped producing them for the African market just a couple years ago, FWIU.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had a '79 Westy. It was the best vehicle I ever owned and only sold it because I was moving. I want to buy another one, preferable water-cooled and not as old.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Crack Monkey
    LOL. Why have a 4x4 Westy if you can't use it? That's like owning a Lamborghini, but leaving it parked because it's too pretty.
    Who said anything about not using it? I just don't see the point about beating on a Syncro for the sake of it. Take it to Moab or Gooseberry and get into some out of the way riding places? Sure, I'd be all for that. Seems stupid to me to be doing some roadside 4-wheeling in it though.

My '84 has been replaced with an '02 Weekender. I am psyched for spring (though we have a huge snowpack now). Looking at hitch mount options...

mtbr member
    one of my dads friends has a 90 vw vanagon.
    i have a mk3 jetta with a vr6, and can only imagine how sweet a vw bus be with my vr6 engine in it
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My ride is an '85 Westy Weekender poptop/no kitchen model, with a 2002 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5L engine (165 hp), custom regeared tranny for better high speed travel to and from Moab to Denver. Best and most useful vehicle I have ever owned, but I've had to R&R just about every part on the van over the past 5 years since the engine conversion. Fortunately, the Vanagon chassis is the easiest car I have ever worked on, and parts are widely available on the 'net. Ground clearance is a major plus over the Eurovan models, but I sure like the looks of the late model EV poptops and the 201 hp VR6 engine! If I could find one with a 5 speed I'd seriously consider it, as the automatics are reportedly a ticking time bomb.

The bike part is a custom 2 inch frame-mounted receiver hitch made by Dennis Haynes, which mounts a modifed Thule 998 XT swing-out hitch to allow access to tailgate area with bikes loaded on and allow better rear ground clearance while mounted on the low Vanagon chassis. Will hold 4 adult MTB bikes or any combination of kid and adult bikes. I also have a removable bike board inside which allows me to shuttle up to 6 riders and bikes around Moab.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by connorsvw
    My ride is an '85 Westy Weekender poptop/no kitchen model, with a 2002 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5L engine (165 hp),
    I've been dreaming of putting a SVX into my 87 Westy ever since I rebuilt the 2.1 in 01.

These days... it's just more trouble to take the van than it's worth... been stranded twice in the last year. I just don't have the free time to keep up with it anymore.

ballbuster

Hi Pete

Quote Originally Posted by somepeteguy
    My '87 Synchro Vanagon couldn't handle much. It's most noticeable feature was that it went through CV joints like a fat kid goes through candy.

I also had the entire drive train replaced (yes, the tranny, both diffs, had to wait ten weeks to get it shipped in from the Fatherland). It never came near "real outback kinda stuff," but was driven off-road a bit.

Thank the flying spaghetti monster that I assumed the original owner's extended warranty or I would have driven it over a cliff rather than paying the $8k for that new drive train.
    Back when I was deep in VW/Audi/Porsche world, it was common to hear about CV boots blowing open on VWs. Dunno if this is what happened in your case, but it was common for mechanics who didn't follow the letter of the VW bulletins to fill the CV boots to the gills with CV grease. When the thing started spinning at freeway speeds, the centrifugal forces would make them blow open, or so I heard. Worse, some lazy mechanics would replace the stock blown CV boots with split boots, and those did the same thing. Of course, if they didn't take the CV out of the car to even replace the boot, they naturally didn't take it out to clean it properly, inspect for wear or measure its backlash.

Yeah, not the most reliable things on the planet. The front drive stuff was always more durable.

That said, I know a few people who are driving high mileage syncros without any drivetrain issues, and they do take them off road.

Members who have read this thread: 0