Volvo Wagon Hitch or Roof Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Volvo Wagon Hitch or Roof Rack

Will be a new owner shortly as I just sold my F150. Curious what owners think works the best for cycling needs. Will be used @ MTB trailheads, meet up group rides and CX races in the fall. Can't decide if the easy access to tailgate of roof top config outweighs the simplicity of leaving wheels on the bikes.

ballbuster

Don't let that stop you...

Quote Originally Posted by RetroS
    Will be a new owner shortly as I just sold my F150. Curious what owners think works the best for cycling needs. Will be used @ MTB trailheads, meet up group rides and CX races in the fall. Can't decide if the easy access to tailgate of roof top config outweighs the simplicity of leaving wheels on the bikes.
    you can get roof rack trays that let you leave the wheels on.

I would suggest the hitch rack anyway for the simple reason that roof racks suck lots of gas and make a lot of noise. Then again, if you're coming from an F150, you're gonna be stoked with how little gas you buy, even with a Volvo. Many hitch racks hinge to the side or down out of the way.

I have an Performance Bike X-Port Flatbed, and I can open my hatchback on my GTi without tipping the rack down. I can open the hatch with the bike on the outside position if I unhook the top tube a bit.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 07-25-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0