Using 1UP with fat tire kit with a road bike.- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Using 1UP with fat tire kit with a road bike.

I have the 1UP rack with the Fat Tire spacer kit installed. I think it is OK with my 2.3" tire MTB, but not too crazy about how it grips a skinny-tired road bike.

Does anyone know if they offer something to make the fat tire kit work better with skinny tires? Or a some spacers to allow you to use the tire clamps (the things that wedge against the tires) from the standard rack with the wider fat-tire spaced rack? I looked on the 1UP site but do not see anything.

Thanks
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

beater
    Iíve never had an issue with my gravel bike, but I donít put it on my rack that often, either. How about using a foam-covered twist tie on each wheel? I keep a couple on hand to secure my crank/pedal so it doesnít backpedal and chew up my GFís bikeís chainstay.

since 4/10/2009
    Hm, I've put my road bike in my fat spacer equipped 1up. Maybe it's different since my road bike is running 35mm tires, but it holds well enough for me. It also held my new bike with 29x2.6 tires well today.

I bet it wouldn't be hard to put one of the standard "tire clamps" on a longer bolt or piece of all-thread with a bunch of washers, or plastic spacers.

Looks like you can get this part as one option, too:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-saver/

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Hm, I've put my road bike in my fat spacer equipped 1up. Maybe it's different since my road bike is running 35mm tires, but it holds well enough for me. It also held my new bike with 29x2.6 tires well today.

I bet it wouldn't be hard to put one of the standard "tire clamps" on a longer bolt or piece of all-thread with a bunch of washers, or plastic spacers.

Looks like you can get this part as one option, too:

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-saver/
    It does hold the bike, but it just does not seem as secure as with the standard clamps.

Yeah, I have a few home remedies in mind, similar to what you suggest. Been looking for something like plastic or metal tubing I could use to make the spacers. Because of a full fendered bike I have, I need to move the tire clamps (or whatever they are called) now and again, so I would like to have as few pieces as possible. Honestly, I think the standard tire clamps with spacers would work just fine on the fat bike. The pressures are so low the clamp would dig right in and hold the bike just fine.
    Last edited by kapusta; 03-31-2019 at 07:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    How big are you looking to go? I run 29 plus and it works fine. My tires are 29 x 3 and 29 x 2.8.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    How big are you looking to go? I run 29 plus and it works fine. My tires are 29 x 3 and 29 x 2.8.

The issue is not how big I need to go its how small I need to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So far any bike that will get pressure from the ends has worked. Some bikes wiggle around more but I'm coming up on 7 years use with no problems.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    The issue is not how big I need to go its how small I need to go.
    Oops. I missread your post. I think you would fine. The downward pressure doesn't change with the fat kit. It just widens the arms.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Hey, If people want to post about how they are fine with how the fat-bike spacers work with their road bikes, then please do so if it makes you happy....... but It is irrelevant to me.

I know exactly how my road bikes work with this, and they wiggle around more easily than I like and more than with the standard sized spacers and tire clamps. Thus why I started the thread.

since 4/10/2009
    It does hold the bike, but it just does not seem as secure as with the standard clamps.

Yeah, I have a few home remedies in mind, similar to what you suggest. Been looking for something like plastic or metal tubing I could use to make the spacers. Because of a full fendered bike I have, I need to move the tire clamps (or whatever they are called) now and again, so I would like to have as few pieces as possible. Honestly, I think the standard tire clamps with spacers would work just fine on the fat bike. The pressures are so low the clamp would dig right in and hold the bike just fine.
    You are prob right about using the std bits with spacers instead of the fatbike ones.

But did you look at the piece I linked?

Looks interesting as a possibility. Though if the road bike you are having issues with is the one with full fenders, it may not work so well. When I toss my fendered bike on the rack, I just mash the fenders (sks fenders, so they bounce back). Not perfect, but for as rare as I do that, it works.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Deleted.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    You are prob right about using the std bits with spacers instead of the fatbike ones.

But did you look at the piece I linked?

Looks interesting as a possibility. Though if the road bike you are having issues with is the one with full fenders, it may not work so well. When I toss my fendered bike on the rack, I just mash the fenders (sks fenders, so they bounce back). Not perfect, but for as rare as I do that, it works.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I did look at those, thanks. Those are a possibility I am considering.

Our two bikes with fenders (our townie/cruisers)have the planet bike full coverage ones. One plastic, one metal. I tried clamping over them, but before I could get it anywhere near tight enough it was obvious that I was going to break them if I did it that way. This is regardless of whether it is the standard or fat bike spacers/clamps. It is only an issue on the rear.

The way I carry those is to move the rear spacer/clamp to the lowest position which contacts the tire right below the fender. That far down it is not really holding that tire down (just pushing it straight forward) so I strap the rear wheel to the tray. It seems really secure, its just a pain.
    Last edited by kapusta; 04-01-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    This is what I came up with:

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is what I came up with:
    That's a nice looking custom set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk