Upright tray rec's: something other than Yakima or Thule?- Mtbr.com
    b a n n e d

Upright tray rec's: something other than Yakima or Thule?

Well, my new 15QR won't fit on my existing fork mount and even though there are adapters available, a) they won't lock and b) I am tired of messing with taking the wheel on and off.

I've already got the Yakima base (e.g., round bars) and only need a new tray. I've been through the Yakima website, and know they make okay products, but I don't know what other brands to look at.

Kuat doesn't have a roof mount, and Rocky Mounts doesn't have an upright . . . what are some of the other major brands I should be looking at?

Also, if you've got some suggestions, I'm all ears

mtbr member
    1Up USA is making a version of their rack to fit the roof, but I don't think it is released yet. It is light weight, all aluminum, and can be used on their hitch carrier as well. I currently have a Yakima Cobra that has completely rusted out and now the red knob has stripped. So, I am looking for something a little more durable as I use my rack year round in the snow and salt.

http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

code: mtbr2011
    rocky mounts has talked about an upright rack, that was to be released this year, but didn't...i don't know why.

one of the problems we had with the yakima cobra was the weight of the bike was all centered around the head of the carriage bolt that was inserted into the underside of the tray. heavier downhill bikes would rip that tray apart.

as far as the rust issue goes, i guess using it year 'round in snow and salt will do that...you could try having the rack sprayed with a rhino lining or something like that, used for pickup truck bed liners..

b a n n e d
    Well, after a bit of research it seems that I'm kinda stuck here . . . Yakima is going to get more of my money apparently. I'm thinking the Highroller is the ticket . . .

Members who have read this thread: 0