Universal roof rails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Universal roof rails?

Thursday was a sad day... the family has officially outgrown my little Nissan pickup, so I agreed to trade it in and we got my wife a new Forester. That leaves me with our 2014 Ford Fusion, which is literally worst case scenario for hauling bikes. I would really prefer to have a roof rack, but the Fusion has a flat top roof with no notching or rail mounting of any kind. I was hoping someone here knew of a solid universal rail that I could look into. I'm slightly worried about door alignment from the systems I've seen on Google, but I know very little about this stuff.

Ive been throwing my bike in the back of a truck since the beginning of time, and had no idea the rack world was full of so many options...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Go to the Yakima site and plug you car. I put in a 2014 Fusion with no roof rails and gave me all the parts to mount round bars on the roof. If you can wait REI does a 20% sale around memorial day. You can also find cross bars and wind fairings on Craigslist. You'll still need to get trays that you like.

The towers sit on your roof and the clips grab the top part of your door jam. I ran these for years before getting an SUV. They are very solid. Get what ever bar size you need. I just guessed.

This is probably the best option for the roof.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Have you considered the Seasucker or equivalant system?

All fat, all the time.
    Can you put a hitch on it?

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Can you put a hitch on it?
    After running both roof and hitch racks for years, I'd go hitch on a Fusion. I had the same year Focus with both. The mounting on the roof without any rails is totally normal. If you go that route, educate yourself on the model of towers you need and hit craigslist. They are everywhere. You can buy the Q-clips and interchange them for your application though many crossover between models. Maybe you'll get lucky and save yourself another $60. Crosstubes are always on the c'list, too. Draw back is there noisy even with a fairing and you'll lose a bit of MPG but the car is low enough that it is easy to get a bike on top without hurting shoulders.

Hitch is so much cleaner and easier, IMO. eTrailer.com for maybe $150 or so? Getchya a Thule T2 Classic off the c'list and have the best hitch rack combo available for the money. If you do go roof mount, find the Thule 594XT sidearms. They work the same as a T2 rack. They hold value. I've paid as little as $75 each with locks for like new and have turned around and sold them in minutes (literally) for $120.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Go to the Yakima site and plug you car. I put in a 2014 Fusion with no roof rails and gave me all the parts to mount round bars on the roof. If you can wait REI does a 20% sale around memorial day. You can also find cross bars and wind fairings on Craigslist. You'll still need to get trays that you like.

The towers sit on your roof and the clips grab the top part of your door jam. I ran these for years before getting an SUV. They are very solid. Get what ever bar size you need. I just guessed.

This is probably the best option for the roof.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    +1 on the Yakima system for the roof. Only better option would be a custom track system like I had Rack Attack install. Just bolted the track down on the roof and allows me to slide crossbars forward and back to accommodate either bike racks, cargo boxes, or even a roof top tent! Rack Attack's website has all this stuff and you can even see other customers vehicles with the racks which was pretty neat!

mtbr member
    I would use the manufacturer recommended rails or nothing. I assume they bolt under the door frames? A friend of mine bought aftermarket bars and they dented his roof!