Uhaul hitch instalation?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Uhaul hitch instalation?

Quick question here.
    I need a hitch installed to carry my bike rack, Uhaul seems to have the best prices, would you trust them with your car?.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Had them install a hitch one time. Great experience but may vary from location to location.

Alternately, hitch installation is fairly easy, so you may consider DIY.

I wouldn't have an issue with UHaul doing it necessarily, but I've always just done it myself. On vehicles I've installed hitches, the only thing that's ever been required (with one exception) is a socket set and about 30-45 minutes of time. The only time it was ever more involved was on an older vehicle where the frame nuts were extremely corroded and I had to buy a $5 tap from Pep Boys to re-tap the holes.

You could always find the installation instructions specific to your vehicle on Curt or Reese's website and see if it's a DIY project you'd want to undertake.

mtbr member
    Uhaul can do it, and definitely cheaper than the dealership.
    I put on a curt hitch I bought from autozone. Cheaper from amazon, but I had gift cards. simple 30 minutes, saved some money over uhaul. instructions are easy to follow and you can download them from the website before you buy to see what you're getting yourself into. Most of the time, the hardest part is physically getting under the car (drive onto wood 2x4 blocks for a couple extra inches) and getting the bolts in near the exhaust pipe and muffler. And remember to block the tires so the car can't roll on you.

If you go with a trailer light setup, when it comes time to run the power cable, in retrospect, I wish I would have used a cigarette lighter plug instead of connecting it to my battery. It took a solid couple hours to route the power supply under the car and through the engine block. It is also exposed and anything could happen to it. If I just used a cigarette lighter plug, all I would need to do is plug it in when I plan on using a trailer. the rest of the time, it would be curled up under the trunk floor board.

Unlike a classical spliced trailer light system, the trailer light kits have circuit boxes that use a relay switch, so if it's not plugged in, you don't stop power going to the car's lights. It just means the relays don't energize the trailer plug power because there is no power to supply.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I am not really a much of a tool guy so I don't want to do it myself, Uhaul gave me the cheapest quote buy I just wanted to verify that they are trustworthy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For what it's worth, if it's within your budget, I'd have them wire the lights. I didn't for our first vehicle because I was only going to use it for the bike rack. Sure enough, a year or so later, we needed to rent a trailer and had to have them wire the lights.

mtbr member
    Uhaul, as a company, is OK. Individual U-Haul service providers, have to research individually. I went to a uhaul that was operated out of a closed down gas station. Looked like vagrants were living there and smelled like weed. No way I'd let them install a hitch on my car.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Workin for the weekend!
    I'd be more concerned about them doing the wiring than the nuts & bolts... It's a straight fwd bolt on process. They likely have a lift too, makes it even easier.
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    I'd be more concerned about them doing the wiring than the nuts & bolts... It's a straight fwd bolt on process. They likely have a lift too, makes it even easier.
    Yeah, I haven't had great luck with them wiring for trailer lights, but the hitch install is probably safe. Search google maps in your area and take a look at some reviews. You may find an independent place that would be a better bet.