U-Haul trailers- Mtbr.com

Thread: U-Haul trailers

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

U-Haul trailers

Taking a trip to Dallas-Fort Worth area with one MTB and two cruisers. I plan to rent a car and tow some type of cargo trailer from U-Haul. Any recommendations for trailers?
    I will probably be keeping all my gear in a bag.

since 4/10/2009
    Before you solidify this, do you know for sure that the vehicle you're renting will be able to tow anything? I've also had a lot of troubles with rental car agencies not renting me the vehicle I reserved months ahead of time, so I've had to be flexible in some situations. Which has been unpleasant at times to say the least.

As for which trailer, that depends on the measurements of your stuff. So my advice to you would be to measure the hell out of your things, and compare to the dimensions available on uhaul's website. And strap your stuff down WELL.

Just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DMaddie7 View Post
    Taking a trip to Dallas-Fort Worth area with one MTB and two cruisers. I plan to rent a car and tow some type of cargo trailer from U-Haul. Any recommendations for trailers?
    Most, if not all, rental agencies do not allow towing with their vehicles.

mtbr member
    Let me get this straight, you're deliberately going to Texas? On Vacation? And you're plan is to mtb in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? Good luck. Planning on blackmailing batman next?
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rent a van.
    Use the cost of rental to buy a decent hitch rack for your own car.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    As said above...rent a van.

What is your experience with trailers?

From my experience driving trucks, where everyone and their dog is in and out of the equipment, expect the unexpected; as maintenance tends
    to be somewhat out of date.

If you trust your safety to U-Haul, you are at the mercy of someone else...a complete stranger...lacking self knowledge.

A novice with miss matched equipment, lacking proper maintenance, or set-up, is a accident waiting to happen.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

since 4/10/2009
    FWIW, I trust uhaul's trailers more than their trucks. though the staff at the rental offices are not always realistic about the towing capabilities of people's vehicles (as in, they tend to overestimate tow vehicle capabilities).

agree with the rest, though. Safe trailering has additional required equipment, knowledge, and skills. Even with a light load in the trailer, and maybe especially with a light load in the trailer (since trailers tend to be pretty bouncy when they're not loaded down).

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The rental trailer will be fine. The chances of there being a mechanical issue with a rental trailer are minimal. As other's have said, I just think you will have trouble finding a rental car company that has a vehicle with a trailer hitch. Even if you rent a pick-up truck with a factory hitch, you will have to bring your own insert. That and your rental agreement will specifically forbid towing so you will take your chances.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Let me get this straight, you're deliberately going to Texas? On Vacation? And you're plan is to mtb in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? Good luck. Planning on blackmailing batman next?
    Hey, hey now. There are nearly ~300 miles of single track in DFW. There's just about everything available. Just missing big hills...
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMaddie7 View Post
    If you're renting a "car", just remember that aside from a couple of SUV's, like Tahoes, rental cars don't have hitches. Tahoes only have them because the don't come from the factory without one.

As for a trailer type, get an enclosed one. Be aware U-Hauls notoriously ride harsh, especially with light loads. Tie down is critical.

When are you going to DFW? It's been raining, and still is. Trails will be closed for at least a week or more, assuming it stops raining. Longer of not. And it's freakishly cold (high 30's this morning!). We don't even have clothe for that kind of weather here! You may forgo the bikes.

U-Haul trailers-closed.jpg
    FYI, this map doesn't show all trails.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.