trunk rack with spoiler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

trunk rack with spoiler

does anybody know if it is possible install a trunk rack if you have a spoiler on the back of your car. i have an 01 accord with a spoiler(the stock one not some ricer pos) and am interested in getting a bike rack that mounts to the trunk if i can. heres a pic to give you an idea:
    honda spoiler.jpg
    08 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc.

mtbr member
    Not sure, But Im pretty sure my neighbor had one till he wrecked his car thought.
    Take a kid Hunting!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Check out the Saris "Bones" series, I think they may work for you.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, it's possible.

Remove the spoiler.

Better gas milege, easier to fit bikes on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the input, i'll check out the saris bones series and continue doing research on trunk mounts for a couple of weeks. Jayem, i really dont know how to remove the spoiler other wise i probably would consider it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

second the saris

I have a Hyundai hatchback with a stock spoiler, my Saris bones curves nicely over the spoiler. So far it's a good truck mount carrier, and it fits both of our cars.

mtbr member
    Why not get a hitch? My brother has an Accord and bought a hitch for about $100. A hitch mount opens up alot of rack possibilities.

I know your post specifically asked about a trunk mounted rack, and I don't want to presume that you did had not already looked into all possibilities...

Other than that, I hear good things about the Saris Bones.

tk

EDR
    another vote for Saris Bones or whatever the newer versions are called. Very sturdy, will fit over many spoilers and just the best trunk mount rack on the market, imo (at least when I owned mine 2 years ago).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tk, actually i had not thought about a trailer hitch but i def will look into it. though it seems like from everyones responses, i will probably go with the saris bones.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by delmtbiker
    tk, actually i had not thought about a trailer hitch but i def will look into it. though it seems like from everyones responses, i will probably go with the saris bones.
    the Bones is the best trunk mount out there but a decent hitch mount is way better if you carry your bikes a lot. Why?

-The Bones blocks access to the trunk.
    -It can be easily stolen if left on the trunk (not that a hitch mount can't be stolen, just not as easily)
    and the biggest reason...
    -The Bones uses your bumper to support much of the weight of your bikes.

Back in the day when cars had steel bumpers that was no big deal but now your car has a Styrofoam bumper covered with plastic. If you haul your bikes a lot or on long distance travels, the weight can cause your bumper cover to deform where the feet rest. For short travels not a big deal. Like I said, it's still the best trunk mount out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0