trunk mounted racks vs. paintjob- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

trunk mounted racks vs. paintjob

do those trunk mounted racks-the ones that strap to the trunk-rub and wear at the paint on the car? i was eyeing a Thule model, it's got padding and they claim it doesn't effect your paint....but is that true?

mtbr member
    It can definitely affect the paint if grit or dirt gets underneath the contact points. Even if its pristine it may cause a bit of hazing. How bad it shows up is very dependent on color and condition of paint. When it happens on my black car I use a little hand glaze and buff it out.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Village Dirtbag
    I'd recommend getting some 3M frame protector tape and applying it to your car at all the contact points.

code: mtbr2011
    both good points above...the 3m protection tape is helpful, but any scuffing caused by the bike rack - if any - can be hand buffed with some car polish pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ok cool, thanks for the replies. we actually have some chafe tape at work (i imagine it's the same as the 3m protection tape already mentioned) so i'll use some of that...good idea!

psycho cyclo addict
    Just take your time putting the bikes on and taking them off the rack. I have a trunk mount that holds 3 bikes no problem- just have to think a bit about how to arrange pedals so the innermost bike doesn't hit the bumper or back of the car. The rack itself hasn't left marks on my trunk.

Members who have read this thread: 0