Trunk mounted rack for downhill bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trunk mounted rack for downhill bikes?

Does anyone know of a trunk mounted rack that is designed for downhill bikes? I drive a 2000 impreza and dropping $400+ on a roof setup is really not an option at this point (college, yikes!) I ride a 2006 bighit... is there such a thing?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    no!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Avoid trunk racks in any way possible. I have only had unreliable, scary, wiggly, unnerving, pissed off experiences with trunk racks. Sell drugs til you can get a nice one.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A SARIS bones should work fine, but if you're putting DH bikes on it then you can only carry one without putting a ton of stress on your trunk. With DH bikes it cuold warp your trunk and it will scuff the paint where it connects with the clips. I used a bones for a while, but it's more of a temporary solution and not something to use forever, and like I said it will scuff the paint where it attaches. Also, think about the fact that the bones is $120-150 and you could spend that money on a hitch reciever.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thats kind of what I thought... problem is a hitch isn't an option either. Aftermarket exhaust sits in such a way that I can't mount a receiver. Maybe the backseat comes out for the summer

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by imprezagm4
    Thats kind of what I thought... problem is a hitch isn't an option either. Aftermarket exhaust sits in such a way that I can't mount a receiver. Maybe the backseat comes out for the summer
    I have an 04 impreza wrx (wagon), an aftermarket exhaust (borla agressive) and an OEM reciever. The underside of imprezas are all the same until 08 anyhow. The borla works great with the stock exhaust hangers and the OEM towbar has a "cutout" for the exhaust which allows it to tuck up quite nicely (not obtrusive and allows clearance for the exhaust). Other combinations work but sometimes require longer hangers. Some of those big 3"+ exhaust systems aren't going to clear obviously but in that cause you should be running a bigger turbo and intercooler, as there's nothing to be gained unless you're running this kind of equipment and putting out 400 crank HP (so you could sell it, downsize and then get a hitch).

Just thinking of solutions.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Hmmm. maybe I should check into that. I had just read that it wouldn't work on NASIOC. I have a prodrive axle back with 2.5" midpipe... so who knows, worth a shot I guess.

i need a job
    Apr 2007
    you know, you should look into getting a roof rack as well. i know they're not the greatest looking thing but neither is a hitch. roof racks are removable as well so if you're going to hit the track you can just pull it off. i'd stay away from a trunk rack unless its only going to be a short trip.

what kind of set up are you running on your impreza? i used to be a race mechanic at skunk2. maybe i could be of help

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rayseng
    you know, you should look into getting a roof rack as well. i know they're not the greatest looking thing but neither is a hitch.
    Are you kidding? You can barely see this thing (this is before the borla exhaust-single tip). You can see a roof-rack on top from ALL directions, not to mention it's costing you milege ALL the time, it's like throwing money out the window constantly. The hitch rack pays for itself in that respect. The other thing is that if we're talking about the older wrxs (pre 08s), all the body panels are thin aluminum to save weight, so I wouldn't trust a trunk-rack as much as I would on another car. Neither route is cheap, but starting with no cross-bars or top-racks you're pretty even in how much money you'd have to spend, so you either spend a lot of money on a roof system and continue to spend more money on gas, or you spend a lot of money on a hitch+rack and then stay at the same milege and any cost difference is made up easily. (with a minimal loss of milege you still end up with it paying for itself in about a year or so)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0