Truck With Tonneau Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Truck With Tonneau Advice

I'm looking for your opinions on whether to build a bed rack or hitch/bumper mounted rack for my '89 C1500 step-side. I have the capabilities to build either, and because I do not have a 2" receiver, I would need to build a hitch/bumper mounting rack. I like the idea of a bumper mounted rack so I wouldn't have to take the front wheel off when laying my bike down under the tonneau cover, or avoiding removing the tonneau cover completely when carrying multiple bikes. However this exposes the bikes outside the truck bed in terms of collisions, and puts my bike in sight when sitting in the parking lot at work.

I suppose I could use a bumper mounted rack just for the day rides with my buddies, and stow my bike under the tonneau the other times- I guess I'm just hoping there's something for the best of both worlds.

Thanks.

Rohloff
    I've got a truck with a folding tonneau. It's nice to be able to keep your bike locked away, out of sight and out of mind. I'd really like to get a camper shell. It would make it even easier and offer more room. I have a two inch receiver for my hitch rack which I rarely use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey Too_Fast_46,

I have a soft tonneau cover and after much searching found a really cool solution. I bought a set of these rain gutter brackets from a company called summit racks (link below) which allow you to mount a rain gutter style rack system to the bed rails of your truck and still be able to install the tonneau cover.

In addition to being able to install a tonneau cover, one of the things I like most about this set-up is that you can remove the rack in literally minutes if I need to haul something large in the bed.

I set mine up with a high roller upright bike rack and cargo box for gear.

Summit Racks: Pick up truck recreational rack system rain gutter brackets for use with Thule® & Yakima® rack systems and accessories

Cheers,

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truck With Tonneau Advice-rack3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    To bpalermo: Those bed racks do look really nice unfortunately I'm hoping to spend a lot less money than that.

To bsdc: I would love to have a hard tonneau, but again it's all about the money. You do raise a good point though about having a hitch rack and not using very often, because I could see myself putting a lot of time into building one then realizing 90% of the time it's easier to just lay my bike down in the bed.

Thank you both for your input.

mtbr member
    Why not just get a hitch? They're super cheap for an 88-98 Chevy, especially if you have the factory step bumper. If you have a drop bumper, they (Curt, Hidden Hitch, etc) still make a hitch that works and is not very expensive. By the time you cut/welded something together, you'd not have much more in a premade, ready to go hitch.

Members who have read this thread: 2