Truck Racks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Truck Racks

Get out of town!

Truck Racks

I have used an InstaGator (by Sportworks) in the past and loved it. The only problem I had is that you couldn't lock the bike to the rack. I got tired of threading a cable lock through my frame every time I was away from the bike and most of the locks I tried (Master Locks, etc.) would eventually rust and get hard to open and close. Does anyone have, or know of a great bike rack that will go into the bed of your truck that also locks down on either the fork or frame in some way? I want to be able to leave the rack on and not worry about rain ruining the locking mechanism.

BTW - I don't want a rack that fits into a trailer hitch because of the design of my bike - small frame FS that won't fit most hitch racks. I have seen the adaptor bars that run from the stem to the seatpost and don't care to use one of those either...
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Yakima Blockheads with locking cores bolted to your bed?

or locking Bedheads, maybe? they don't going "in" your bed, but sit on the rails.

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    Yakima Blockheads with locking cores bolted to your bed?

or locking Bedheads, maybe? they don't going "in" your bed, but sit on the rails.
    Yep - That would work well and wouldn't be that expensive. Thanks. After doing some internet searches and talking with a rep at orsracksdriect I don't know if there is such a thing as a lockable in-bed truck rack yet. I did see a couple hitch racks that would work (arm locks around the downtube) but they are all $300+.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

ouch
    Once I get my new bike, QRs are out so I'm going to have to scramble something up myself that connects to my toolbox. I'll start a thread with pics when I'm done.

The locking bedhead was what I used before. It's about 4 years old and still hold pretty well. I'd advise maybe using loctite on the mounting bolt because if it's not extremely tight you'll eventually get some play in the whole device. I've never had it detach, but it made me nervous sometime.

mtbr member
    http://www.recrac.com/bikeRack.html

Rec Rac, clamps to the rail and you can run a cable lock through the loop for security. I've had mine for a year or so and it works great. I bought it mainly because the price was right, and I have a lefty fork so I needed something to accomodate that.
    You can't test courage cautiously.

-Annie Dillard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    I have used an InstaGator (by Sportworks) in the past and loved it. The only problem I had is that you couldn't lock the bike to the rack. I got tired of threading a cable lock through my frame every time I was away from the bike and most of the locks I tried (Master Locks, etc.) would eventually rust and get hard to open and close. Does anyone have, or know of a great bike rack that will go into the bed of your truck that also locks down on either the fork or frame in some way? I want to be able to leave the rack on and not worry about rain ruining the locking mechanism.

BTW - I don't want a rack that fits into a trailer hitch because of the design of my bike - small frame FS that won't fit most hitch racks. I have seen the adaptor bars that run from the stem to the seatpost and don't care to use one of those either...
    Have you done a forum search on this? There's been several threads all with all kinds of good solutions.

Here's my solution, completely lockable. Rack to truck, bikes to rack. Plus I still have use of my bed. The whole thing's removable in about 5 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    that is a the set up i want.

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    Have you done a forum search on this? There's been several threads all with all kinds of good solutions.

Here's my solution, completely lockable. Rack to truck, bikes to rack. Plus I still have use of my bed. The whole thing's removable in about 5 minutes.
    That is a nice set up. Those look like the Yakima raingutter towers to me. How did you attach the tower to the bed. I think they make something thats actually made for that, but I cant remember.

Thanks.

desert dweller
    Quote Originally Posted by keetowah
    http://www.recrac.com/bikeRack.html

Rec Rac, clamps to the rail and you can run a cable lock through the loop for security. I've had mine for a year or so and it works great. I bought it mainly because the price was right, and I have a lefty fork so I needed something to accomodate that.

I like my Rec Rac too. I do recommend turning the head piece over so it extends above the rod -- it make the whole unit more stable. Sears has them a little cheaper: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Bike+Racks

mbb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanLJS
    That is a nice set up. Those look like the Yakima raingutter towers to me. How did you attach the tower to the bed. I think they make something thats actually made for that, but I cant remember.

Thanks.
    Thanks. I bought Thule "Artificial Rain Gutters" (part # 542, I think) and bolted them to the bed rail. Yes, you have to drill holes, but as long as you seal them up properly, there's no issues. This is my second truck with this set-up and the first one was almost 6 years old when I took it apart. No rust, nothing. Of course, I've since had the bed Rhino lined which helps a great deal (the last one was lined, too).

Once you get the artificial gutters, you can mount any rack - even a home made one - that mounts to a raingutter. Plus, like I said, you can take the whole thing down in about 5 minutes if you need the bed for something tall.

I have a ski wing I put on in the winter and could put on a lock box or any other attachment you want. Obviously a canoe or kayak would require some modifications, but nothing difficult.

I figure I could easily haul 6 bikes though it would take some careful fitting and possibly a brace in the middle of the span. Right now I'm set up for 4 (2 road in fork mounts, 2 MTB in "Ankle Biter Duece" upright mounts plus the tire caddies for the road tires).

No problems at speeds up to 75, maybe 80 (hey, it's a truck - it just doesn't go much faster!). Mileage does suffer a bit since I use bras and with as big as this thing is, that much more frontal area is noticeable at highway speeds.

Here's my old truck set up for a weekend bike event (Hotter'n Hell Hundres):

Get out of town!
    Thanks for the help. I did do a thread search to see but couldn't find any information on a lockable truck bed rack that you could buy off the shelf. Initially I had something pretty specific in mind (which it turns out they don't make yet) but those Rec Racks look like a good way to go. Especially because you don't have to drill any holes and it looks like you can even unload a bike w/o even having to get into the truck bed?

Nice set up btw skiahh. I plan on making a decision in the next couple of days - want to look around a little more. I'll post my solution as well.

Btw here is my current set up
    Last edited by Ridin'Dirty; 02-16-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0