Truck Cap- Mtbr.com

Thread: Truck Cap

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Truck Cap

I've been sorta-kinda looking at truck caps lately. Do you run one?

Do you love it? Hate it? Do you still transport your bikes in the bed somehow?
    adam michigan karate monkey

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a cap. Use my truck for camping and stuff, so I carry wood, generator sometimes, dog, etc etc.

I do/can transport multiple bikes without scratching or compromising components. I do have a full size pickup, F250.

I lean it over in the bed, maybe 45 degree angle, so the seat rests on the flat part of the cap that sits on the bed rail. That keeps the bike from actually having contact points while in transport. Usually the front wheel doesn't stay straight, so the bike doesn't move. I also have the rear tire against the tailgate. My bike is an XL 29'er. I have a thick blanket I put over it when transporting a 2nd bike. More than 2 bikes is a pain in the rear, but doable.

With the cap, I can lock the window-flap door thing, and I lock the tail gate, so I can stop somewhere and go in if I need to (my cap has two handles that lock). If I do that I cover up my bike with the blanket, and I'm not worried about it. Disclaimer: not usually in a high crime area.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I have had one for years. Used to run bikes on the roof, just got a new truck and will be running bikes on the hitch. But yeah, I sometimes throw my bike in the back.

I love them for camping and gear and dogs. If you never camp, don't have dogs, and don't ever have gear in the back that can't get wet, then they don't add much value.

Leaving anything in the back that is valuable is a risk, as they aren't that hard to break in to, but it can't be much different than having the bike on a rack.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't own a pickup without also owning a cap. Unless you're constantly needing to load the truck from the top or always needing to haul loads/items that would not fit with a cap, it's a no-brainer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have been eyeing them lately...new rig means beefier security, and new pup would appreciate it (er, I would appreciate not having a truck that smells like dog). Even if I had to take the wheel off, I'd put the bike in there over a hitch for times when I cannot be right by it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Adam,

We have a truck cap, and depending on what we are taking with us, I always try to get the bikes in the bed more so for weather reasons.

I just mounted a couple fork mounts to a 2x12 cut to the width of the bed at the tailgate. The wider the more stable it will be. Depending on what your bed size is, you can have 2 bikes take up very little room. Our old EC 6.5' bed truck I took the time to figure out how close the mounts could be for all our bikes. Set up the first one to make sure both the road bike & mtb didn't hit the drivers side of the cap (mtb was only about 1/2" from window). Then I tried all combos of 2 road bikes, 2 mtbs, 1 road - 1 mtb, so 2 bikes took as little room as possible on the drivers side. The bikes depending on the combo would only be maybe 1/2" apart. I wanted the bikes on the drivers side so any luggage or other "stuff" that may slide around a bit didn't get bit "dirty" from rubbing against the drivetrain!

With the new truck I haven't taken a lot of time yet to do the smae because it has the new "shorter" bed, 5'8", making it tougher, and haven't had the time.

But I also have a 4 bike hitch rack when needed. Making it possible to take 6 bikes without issue.

Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Goal - new cap/topper for F-350 Super Duty long bed that will accommodate four bikes (two road, two mountain) upright, preferably w/o removing front wheel(s) and with minimal wranglin', bulldoggin', wrasslin' and foul language. Really hoping ARE MX with walk-in door will work; also thinking about Leer 122 if the ARE w/ walk-in won't. Any experience-based advice and tips appreciated.

I have had a cab-height ARE for 10 years and I am happy with it. I know not to buy cheap, go for quality, all that motherhood. I'm looking for specifics about the overhead clearance, door clearances, etc. and putting bikes in & out, transporting them upright, etc.

Thank you!

Members who have read this thread: 0